Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hunting shows? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should baiting for deer be legal?
Yes 19 25.00%
No 47 61.84%
not sure 1 1.32%
Maybe for special handicap hunters only 9 11.84%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2014, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

Default Hunting shows?

Who watches these hunting shows? I stopped many years ago but this morning I did stop while surfing on the LL Bean Guide to the Outdoors show. Do they for get about fair chase? How much skill is needed to shoot a big buck while the buck is feeding over a pile of corn? You can actually see the corn on the show. Personally I think that baiting deer is lazy and not very sportsman like. IMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

11 out of ten hunting shows are fake. Only reason to watch is if you like the ads'
Old 09-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

I don't like baiting and voted no but not on the grounds of "lazy and unsportsmanlike".

Those words are personal opinion.

There's lots of things in hunting I disagree with. I wouldn't try to stop someone just because it's "easy"...and "sportsmanlike"? That's so subjective that...well,how about a national public referendum on each and every aspect of hunting and how "sportsmanlike" it is.

Here's a peeve of mine: Tower stands on the edge of private property bordering public land marshes. Let the orange hordes push deer while "saving" the private...HEATED tower stands with rifles and spotting scopes.... Then do drives on the public while saving the private as a sanctuary until late season hunts.

I took a doe on opening day of archery this year and felt it was "too easy". I canoed a mile then walked another 1/2 mile thru marsh. Checked the wind numerous times before deciding on exactly where to hunt then climbed a tree I'd never been in before....But I KN EW with near absolute certainty that deer would be coming thru there. I'm pretty good with a bow and am certain I'll make a shot at the range I was set up to take.

But I like eating venison.

I didn't feel some great sense of accomplishment. When someone congratulated me on filling a tag opening day I said "Ya,thanks" but it's like coming home from The River with a limit of walleyes in early November. No big deal.

That's what I imagine it to feel like to pop a giant buck over corn on private managed land. From a good distance away with a rifle. In a heated stand. ...Nice cushy chair...With a Packer game quietly playing on a radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Wallhanger

Voted no, I figure if your hunting you should be hunting, not waiting for a deer to show up to your salt lick and blasting it.

Al
Old 09-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Wallhanger

This just opens up to many cans of worms. I voted no to. But as noted before, there is just to much variability to it.

I think stands are lazy and unsportmanlike. What's challenging about sitting in a box blind or stand on a power line with a 500 yard rifle? Nothing. It's shooting, not hunting. But that's my opinion.

Will my sons first experiences be in a blind or stand, probably. Why, cause it's easy and I want them to experience success. We'll work on getting them confident prior to teaching them how to still hunt and spot and stalk vs. shooting from a stand.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Keeper

Hunt over bait, you are a slob hunter!!!!
Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Wallhanger

You should have made a stipulation that to answer the question you must be a deer hunter. Then the results would be from educated individuals who understand property limitations and access difficulties. Each individual hunter faces their own situations and the way that they hunt. I don't hunt over bait, but spend most of my time overlooking my clover field. Is that any different?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Wallhanger

About 10 years ago there was some moron from Texas on a show saying we should be ashamed of ourselves in PA killing bucks that are 18 months old. He had a ranch somewhere down there that was the size of Rhode Island that he claimed to have managed for mature bucks. The deer were hunted over foodplots out of elevated blinds, said to myself its the beginning of the end of deer hunting. I can't see how these people call themselves hunters when they shoot a deer over a foodplot or a bait station. Should just go out and get a young steer in the spring feed him corn all summer then sit by the trough in October and stick him with an arrow. End result less money spent and better tasting meat
Old 09-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLewellin View Post
How much skill is needed to shoot a big buck while the buck is feeding over a pile of corn?
Have you ever tried to do it? If it was that easy don't you think that there would be big bucks killed every day by "unskilled" hunters. Big bucks don't just walk into a bait pile and wait to be shot.

Here is my opinion, If it is legal where it is being done I don't think it is my place to say that it is right or wrong for someone else. I can only make the decision on what is right and wrong for me to be doing while I hunt.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Scully View Post
Have you ever tried to do it? If it was that easy don't you think that there would be big bucks killed every day by "unskilled" hunters. Big bucks don't just walk into a bait pile and wait to be shot.

Here is my opinion, If it is legal where it is being done I don't think it is my place to say that it is right or wrong for someone else. I can only make the decision on what is right and wrong for me to be doing while I hunt.
You are correct. Lots of uneducated opinions surfacing here. They certainly have a right to an opinion......even if it shows their ignorance.