Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What Motor do you have (Main...not kicker) - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

View Poll Results: What main Motor do you have on your boat
Mercury 159 52.82%
Evinrude 35 11.63%
Johnson 6 1.99%
Yamaha 74 24.58%
Suzuki 10 3.32%
Honda 13 4.32%
Other (Tohatsu, mariner, ....) 4 1.33%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Keeper

Default lund -merc

3 out of 4 Lund dealers I contacted would put a Yamaha on if I really wanted to.....

I really wanted to,,,,,,

I guess point is,,,,,you can get something other than a merc on your lund
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Wallhanger

Mark me down for a Ford 351 Windsor
Old 09-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason G3 View Post
Brunswick owns Mercury outboards. Brunswick owns Lund, Lowe, Crestliner, and a few others. You are most likely to get a Brunswick motor (Merc) on it. This is why there are so many. Yes, regardless of the numbers it doesn't make Merc a better motor. Their quality and reliability is stilll inferior to what Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki puts out.
guess u have had enough mercs on your boat to tell us mercs r junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillies View Post
guess u have had enough mercs on your boat to tell us mercs r junk.
I wouldn't allow one to be hung on the back to begin with. I have limped home under alarm enough times on pops boat with electrical problems and multiple thermostat problems and overheating issues then anyone deserves ...... I'm in a position to give my opinion. You see enough complaints and issues from others to pretty much firm up my beliefs. I'm not here to attack anyone, I just don't like Mercury products. Others may not like Yamahas or others and that's fine too.
Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 w/co-pilot
Scotty 1101 Depthmaster electric downriggers
Humminbird 788CI Combo
Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default 2012 90hp Honda V-Tech

Dependable is its first, middle & last name!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	526.1 KB
ID:	108161   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000179.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	108169  
My Ride: 2001/1800 Lund Pro-V, '17/Honda 90hp V-Tech Tiller, 82# Bow Mount MtrGuide, LCX104c, LCX19c, LCX27c, Dual Pro Charger w/eng. assist, Ram Mounts & Holders, Wave Whackers, Clarion Sirrus Sat. Radio & Shorelander Roller Trailer on Lake of the Woods.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
... ...... I'm in a position to give my opinion. ....
We all have opinions but your earlier post sounds like you had the data to back it up????

"Their quality and reliability is stilll inferior to what Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki puts out."

Obviously not!

m
Old 09-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Brunswick owns Mercury outboards. Brunswick owns Lund, Lowe, Crestliner, and a few others. You are most likely to get a Brunswick motor (Merc) on it. This is why there are so many. Yes, regardless of the numbers it doesn't make Merc a better motor. Their quality and reliability is stilll inferior to what Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki puts out.
Jason I have seen plenty of Lund's with Yamahas, and Honda is a motor choice you can order from the factory. I have never seen a G3 without a Yamaha out the few I've seen on the water. You union guys amaze me with with your hardcore buy U.S.A and threaten to key foreign cars on your jobsite, but apparently if it is convenient you throw all your beliefs out the window when it come to your own stuff. I think all the motors have come a long way and I'd go with whatever brand I could get decent service on that isn't 10 hours from home. It's ok to like your boat/motor and not try to tell everyone else they have something inferior, it almost makes you seem like your actually not happy with what you have. Here it goes.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with the Root Beer guy. ^^^^^^^^^ I have had Mercs for my main motor for over 30 years - and I will continue to stick with them.

Last edited by tv4fish; 09-05-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Keeper

Default american vs foreign

this always comes up.....but we must ask ourselves......

which is more American?

a Nissan built in Tennessee?

a chevy built in brazil ?

a ford built in mexico?

I go with , which employs more americans.........

as far as the motors....they all have issues......merc sells 2x as many as Yamaha,,,,,hence they should have twice the number of issues

I like my yamies,,,,but cant say mercs are no good
Old 09-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptm View Post
Jason I have seen plenty of Lund's with Yamahas, and Honda is a motor choice you can order from the factory. I have never seen a G3 without a Yamaha out the few I've seen on the water. You union guys amaze me with with your hardcore buy U.S.A and threaten to key foreign cars on your jobsite, but apparently if it is convenient you throw all your beliefs out the window when it come to your own stuff. I think all the motors have come a long way and I'd go with whatever brand I could get decent service on that isn't 10 hours from home. It's ok to like your boat/motor and not try to tell everyone else they have something inferior, it almost makes you seem like your actually not happy with what you have. Here it goes.
All of the above is absolutely irrelevent and has nothing to do with my opinion on Mercs. Key cars? WTH are you talking about? Some outboard quality and reliability is above others or below others. My opinion is just my opinion .... I think that Mercury outboards as well as their kickers are garbage comparatively speaking. Merc motors are the ones that keep repair shops busy. We have given them plenty of business from my family. Sorry ........ Had my boat four years and never been back to the dealer or anywhere else but my garage since the day I picked it up ..... Yeah, I'm pretty happy.
Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 w/co-pilot
Scotty 1101 Depthmaster electric downriggers
Humminbird 788CI Combo