Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Talon - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Keeper

Default Talon

Saw the 12' Talon on a recent fishing show and wondering if this is a DIY project...Want to install on a 18' Lund Predator...Since I don't have a jack plate would I drill through the transom to mount...Also considering the tilt bracket and quick release wiring...Any help on this project would be greatly appreciated....My other option would be a new trolling motor with spotlock....Pros and cons on both products...Would like to have both eventually....Thanks....Don't forget your loved ones this Valentines Day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Wallhanger

I would think I trolling motor with spot lock etc would be the better choice due to its many more functions. You can do with a hand held anchor what you can do with a Talon. If you have physical limitations I would think an anchormate might do the trick (both for a fraction of the cost). Just a thought.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Slot Fish

I would think it would depend on the type of fishing you do. If you fish panfish where it is mostly shallow, then the Talon is the right tool to use. If you fish walleyes where you might be in deeper water, then the spotlock would be best. Trolling with an electric trolling motor would give you more versatility in that you can precisely control the speed, track, and noise while spotlock would keep you in a 5' circle area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Keeper

The only question you need to ask yourself.

How confident are you on your mechanical and electrical skills. Do you feel comfortable wiring something into your boats electronics?

If you're leery, and don't have someone who is savvy enough to help you with the task. The expense of having the dealer install it for you correctly will give you a better level of happiness with purchase.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieduck1 View Post
Saw the 12' Talon on a recent fishing show and wondering if this is a DIY project...Want to install on a 18' Lund Predator...Since I don't have a jack plate would I drill through the transom to mount...Also considering the tilt bracket and quick release wiring...Any help on this project would be greatly appreciated....My other option would be a new trolling motor with spotlock....Pros and cons on both products...Would like to have both eventually....Thanks....Don't forget your loved ones this Valentines Day!
The SWA does what it claims. The only disadvantage is that you have something sticking up at the back of your boat which "may" interfere with your fishing..

Although the spot lock works, if its even a bit windy it will constantly be hunting and seeking. It constantly over-corrects and Minn Kotas are noisy. In other words, its not precise.

SWAs like Power Pole and Talon were developed for bass fisherman in shallow water. If you do a lot of that type of fishing they are extremely handy.
If you don't do enough shallow water fishing to justify the cost, then upgrade to a Terrova or ulterra with US2 and iPilot. These are very useful trolling motors.
HB 1199 CI HD Si (Helm)
Helix 10 GPS (Dash)
Evinrude 15HO Kicker (Tiller)

Old 02-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Keeper

I have both motorguide with spot lock and a Talon. I use Talon everytime I am out. Specially when loading and unloading boat. I push boat past dock and deploy with nose at dock. Keeps boat from pounding on dock dock rash free. I use it for fishing a lot also. I cast a lot of shallows also use it if drifting in deeper water of need to slow drift down alittle bit.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:07 AM
Wallhanger

You can download the Talon installation manual here:

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Suppor...-Water-Anchor/
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default Talon

Its not to hard to mount the Talon....I bolted it to the transom of my Ranger 620, You wont be able to use the tilt bracket if you bolt it straight on. Take your time and plan it out...consider all your variables when mounting. Take a deep breath and drill away if you are half way handy its easy

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing