Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Moen Kitchen Faucets - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Keeper

Default Moen Kitchen Faucets

Anybody have one of these and if so how have they worked out for you? We installed the single handle one in antique bronze with the pullout sprayer about 7 years ago. We had nothing but issues with this faucet. I was calling Moen almost every year for a new cartridge due to leaks. Finally after 4 years they replaced the faucet all they charged me was shipping. That's was in 2012. At that time they said they had redesigned the faucet and we should not have those problems any longer. I had a professional plumber install it and worked fine for about 1.5 years and had to have the cartridge replaced. Today again (2 years later) the faucet is leaking. My wife is livid!

If I decide to cut ties with Moen what brand have you used that you consider VERY reliable?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Default ahhhhh....good luck

You will get a plethora of brands to choose from.......

We switched from American Standard (POS... issue with the cartridge - limited hot water) to Premier Faucet over five(5) years ago in our kitchen without a single issue. I have Delta faucets in the bathrooms that I will switch to Premier when we need to remodel or replace them, but I have no issues with them.

My friend put in Kraus faucets and has had no problems with them either. Ironically, we were talking about this very item with another friend who needs to replace his kitchen faucet. Not unlike the Ford vs Chevy argument, each side can bash the other, but in the end, it is up to the end user to decide between two(2) quality products.

"Just Rip Lips and Keep a Tight Line!"
Old 02-11-2016, 04:34 AM
Wallhanger

I have Delta kitchen faucets because their pullout head has a magnetic base in it, so no more saging faucet head.3 years no problem. I would check water heater anode mine went bad and water heater started "manufacturing" stuff that was plunging my faucets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

We are living the Moen nightmare right now again with our $300+ single handle kitchen faucet
It to was replaced about two years ago with the newer model. The original we installed about 20 years prior and had to replace the cartridge once.
This newer better so called design has now had two replaced.
At this point we have a low water flow issue and its not a clogged screen.
I think its more of a clogged hose or the quick release coupler, it seems they have made the ID of that hose much smaller and hard water deposits tend to clog it up some.
We have a total of seven moen faucets in the house plus the original old kitchen faucet sitting in storage.
For the most part all the other single handles have been fine, yet they needed a new stem/cartridge once or twice over the past twenty years.
Mostly due to the lube within them washing away making them stiff in operation. Same with the two handle tub versions.
Overall I have been please with Moen customer service over the years.
If you are the original purchaser, you are cover for life and they will send out parts with a phone call. Shipping is free and the parts arrive in about a week, if you need ASAP shipping they charge something like $10.
Heck they sent us out brand new handles for all the bath faucets just because the years of use had made them look wornand they were once clear and turned yellow some-what, they did this for free

Last edited by cyber16; 02-11-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2016, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

We manage close to 400 apt units. Back in the 80s and early 90 Moen was king, I still have several hundred, of the older moen, faucets and shower valves. Very rarely ever a problem. The newer moen products are ALL GARBAGE IMO and that's being nice about it.

Cheaper delta or peerless single handles are all I have been buyin for the last 8-10 years. I try to buy the ones with the built in plastic supply lines. Locally they are roughly 70-80 for chrome or nicks finish. I put a delta single handle with pull out sprayer in my own house 5 years ago. Not a problem yet.

Repairs on the delta and peerless are normally just a couple rubber washers and springs and is very inexpensive. Having rentals I cannot afford to wait on "lifetime warranties" to ship parts. Last time I tried to get a moen replacement cartridge I was informed that single family apartments are commercial use and carry no warranty.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Keeper

This may be a Ford/Chevy thing to some extent. That said, the top four brands that seem to be preferred are Moen, Delta, Price Pfister, and Kohler( in no particular order).

From my experience, PF and Kohler have been my most recent choices with good results. The hardware stores seem to have a better stock of Moen parts......don't know if that is based on replacement frequency or popularity. Only one cartridge was ordered from PF and it was complimentary. Otherwise the spout screens and such...I just but locally if needed.

My experience is not commercial, but lots of family and personal property maintenance over the years.........
Old 02-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Keeper

Default Kohler

We did new counter tops in the kitchen and installed a Kohler. This is a model that has the pull out sprayer nozzel. Initially had one small problem and the part was replaced easily replaced by me under warranty. Works great and would go with that brand again.
Plus, I want to say I remember the plumber saying that Kohler was made in USA.

Last edited by lakewood; 02-11-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

I built homes for fifteen years. Over those years I have three faucet failures that happened within the first two years. All three we're Moens. So I tend to stay away from them. But that was a few years ago and they may have fixed their issues. I have used Price Pfister's in both my last two homes I built for myself and have had great luck with them. Installed hundreds of them over the years and no issues. Delta is also good. Of course things like Grohe, Kohler are top of the line if you budget allows for it.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

I installed a Price-Phister kitchen faucet, with the pull-out neck, 12 years ago, and have hated it since the day I put it in. I'm on a private well, so the pressure is not very high, and I'm convinced that the small ID of the 3' long hose is to blame for the low flow. It's not the screen, that's been removed with no improvement.

HRG
Old 02-11-2016, 11:12 AM
Keeper

Update - my wife called Moen this morning. They are overnighting a replacement cartridge for delivery tomorrow. I told her to ask for two cartridges but Moen said oh no we can't do that because the lubrication on the cartridge might dry out by the time you need to replace the first one. What does that tell you about how they feel about their own products?