Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sasseginaga Lake /Quebec/Outfitter - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-07-2002, 11:26 AM
Baxter

Default Sasseginaga Lake /Quebec/Outfitter

Our group of 8 diehard Eye fisherman are planning our 4th bi-annual assault on Canadian walleye. We've been trying to hit a different outfitter each time, and are looking into the remote (5 miles down the lake) camp @ Sasseginaga. Anybody out there been to this Lake? Or tried out this outfitter? Or this particular camp option? Will gladly pass on reports on the two other Outfitters we have stayed -w- in the past....Air Melancon and Scott Outfitters if anybody has ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2002, 11:26 AM
Baxter

Default Sasseginaga Lake /Quebec/Outfitter

Our group of 8 diehard Eye fisherman are planning our 4th bi-annual assault on Canadian walleye. We've been trying to hit a different outfitter each time, and are looking into the remote (5 miles down the lake) camp @ Sasseginaga. Anybody out there been to this Lake? Or tried out this outfitter? Or this particular camp option? Will gladly pass on reports on the two other Outfitters we have stayed -w- in the past....Air Melancon and Scott Outfitters if anybody has ????
Old 01-07-2002, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Sasseginaga Lake /Quebec/Outfitter

Baxter:

We have not fished Lake Sasseginaga but have fished Lake Ogascanane right beside it. Lake Ogascanane is 4 miles further east and the owners (Brad and Ginny Mullens) are nephew and niece of the owners of Lake Sasseginaga Outpost (Vicki and Wally Mullens). Brad and Ginny were great hosts. We too opted to stay away from maim camp at an outpost 7 miles down the lake.

You have about 60 miles of gravel road to navigate to get to the lake but the road was great in Sep 2000 when we went. We all had 4 X 4's but they are not required provided you don't put 4 guys and their gear into a car. I'd like to hear about the results of your other trips as well as your trip into Sasseginaga. Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2002, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Baxter:

We have not fished Lake Sasseginaga but have fished Lake Ogascanane right beside it. Lake Ogascanane is 4 miles further east and the owners (Brad and Ginny Mullens) are nephew and niece of the owners of Lake Sasseginaga Outpost (Vicki and Wally Mullens). Brad and Ginny were great hosts. We too opted to stay away from maim camp at an outpost 7 miles down the lake.

You have about 60 miles of gravel road to navigate to get to the lake but the road was great in Sep 2000 when we went. We all had 4 X 4's but they are not required provided you don't put 4 guys and their gear into a car. I'd like to hear about the results of your other trips as well as your trip into Sasseginaga. Jay
Old 01-08-2002, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Retire55

I am also looking at Lakes Sasseginaga/Ogascanane for a 2002 trip in late June. I got a lot of useful info from your post on Lake Ogascanane. I have some more questions? Please bear with me. How was the fishing as to size and quanity? How do you rate the cabins,boats and motors? Is it worth towing your own boat?
Somewhere on a discussion board a while back I remember reading some negative comments about fishing at Lake Ogascanane.hence the questions since I'm close to a deposit

thanks
Seanik
Old 01-08-2002, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Retire55

I am also looking at Lakes Sasseginaga/Ogascanane for a 2002 trip in late June. I got a lot of useful info from your post on Lake Ogascanane. I have some more questions? Please bear with me. How was the fishing as to size and quanity? How do you rate the cabins,boats and motors? Is it worth towing your own boat?
Somewhere on a discussion board a while back I remember reading some negative comments about fishing at Lake Ogascanane.hence the questions since I'm close to a deposit

thanks
Seanik
Old 01-08-2002, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Hi Seanik:

Not to worry. I don't mind answering questions and sharing information. Unfortunately, I can not say much about the fishing in Ogascanane. 8 of us travelled there (in 4 4X4's) for 13-17 Sep 2000. The weather had turned cold a week before we left and it continued cold, wet, windy and overcast during the 4 days we were there. The wind was the greatest detriment to fishing - there just didn't seem to be any place to go to get out of the wind. On the positive side, I can say that I have never marked so many fish in my life. They were all suspended between 45 and 60 feet. But we just couldn't get many to bite (even with downriggers). Their 2001 brochure shows pictures of nice walleye caught in Jul 01.

We stayed at Smith Pass Outpost. For us the accommodations were great but it all depends what you are looking for. Smith Pass slept 8 and was very spacious. It was located off a beautiful sand beach about 75 yards from the water. No running water and no inside toilet. We took a generator to power up the lights. The whole area is very scenic and a day trip into Taylor bay at the far end of Ogascanane is worth the time. We marked lots of fish there too. We caught fish there but they were too small (less than 13 inches). Brad and Ginny have built two new outposts since then, Northern Outpost and Southern Outpost.

If you have your own rig, I would recommend you trailer it in. If you have any experience travelling bush roads, these roads were like a highway. I had read some complaints on this board about the roads before we left and I had some concerns. However, when I saw the great condition of the roads, we couldn't understand anyone complaining. We averaged 30 mph all the way in. My partner and I trailered in a 16 foot aluminum and our own motor. The other fellows used the 14 foot fiberglass boats plus 15 HP motors provided by Brad. With the wind conditions we experienced (3-4 foot waves) I didn't consider Brad's boats safe (the stern had a low design). Indeed, on one day, four of our guys never left camp for safety reasons. We had no difficulty with our 16 foot aluminum.

I think I have addressed the questions you asked. As I said, Brad, Ginny and the boys were great hosts. Have a great trip! Jay

Old 01-08-2002, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Hi Seanik:

Not to worry. I don't mind answering questions and sharing information. Unfortunately, I can not say much about the fishing in Ogascanane. 8 of us travelled there (in 4 4X4's) for 13-17 Sep 2000. The weather had turned cold a week before we left and it continued cold, wet, windy and overcast during the 4 days we were there. The wind was the greatest detriment to fishing - there just didn't seem to be any place to go to get out of the wind. On the positive side, I can say that I have never marked so many fish in my life. They were all suspended between 45 and 60 feet. But we just couldn't get many to bite (even with downriggers). Their 2001 brochure shows pictures of nice walleye caught in Jul 01.

We stayed at Smith Pass Outpost. For us the accommodations were great but it all depends what you are looking for. Smith Pass slept 8 and was very spacious. It was located off a beautiful sand beach about 75 yards from the water. No running water and no inside toilet. We took a generator to power up the lights. The whole area is very scenic and a day trip into Taylor bay at the far end of Ogascanane is worth the time. We marked lots of fish there too. We caught fish there but they were too small (less than 13 inches). Brad and Ginny have built two new outposts since then, Northern Outpost and Southern Outpost.

If you have your own rig, I would recommend you trailer it in. If you have any experience travelling bush roads, these roads were like a highway. I had read some complaints on this board about the roads before we left and I had some concerns. However, when I saw the great condition of the roads, we couldn't understand anyone complaining. We averaged 30 mph all the way in. My partner and I trailered in a 16 foot aluminum and our own motor. The other fellows used the 14 foot fiberglass boats plus 15 HP motors provided by Brad. With the wind conditions we experienced (3-4 foot waves) I didn't consider Brad's boats safe (the stern had a low design). Indeed, on one day, four of our guys never left camp for safety reasons. We had no difficulty with our 16 foot aluminum.

I think I have addressed the questions you asked. As I said, Brad, Ginny and the boys were great hosts. Have a great trip! Jay

Old 01-09-2002, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Retire55

Thanks again for all the info on Lake Ogascanane, now we must select between Lake Ogascanane and Lake Sasseginaga and both outfitters seem ok. I believe they will be at the sports shows in Buffalo and Cleveland. Looking out of the window here in Erie Pa at a foot of snow I laughed to myself about how tough I got it trying to decide what part of heaven I want to fish.

Seanik
Old 01-09-2002, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Retire55

Thanks again for all the info on Lake Ogascanane, now we must select between Lake Ogascanane and Lake Sasseginaga and both outfitters seem ok. I believe they will be at the sports shows in Buffalo and Cleveland. Looking out of the window here in Erie Pa at a foot of snow I laughed to myself about how tough I got it trying to decide what part of heaven I want to fish.

Seanik