Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Driest ride? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default Driest ride?

Am contemplating a Lund Pro Guide tiller (either 1725 or 1825) vs. Alumacraft Navigator 175 tiller. One thing I'm really wondering from those that have driven in them - which has the driest ride? I talked to a Navigator dealer and they said the Alumacraft rode higher and drier than Lunds and was softer landing on big waves. Then a Lund dealer said that Lund has the IPS chine to really cut down the spray best...he described the Alumacraft as "Plume-a-craft" and said it sprays a plume of water out that comes around and hits the tiller driver in the face. I know both guys are bias - so I'd rather hear from those that use them on a regular basis. Thanks much, -FryDog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Fry,
Take a look at a bunch of different boats.
Look at aluminum boats, short, medium and long.
Look at glass boats, short, medium and long.

Look at bay boats, short, medium and long.

Look at ocean going boats.

Look at them from the bow, sighting down along the sides of the hull toward the transom.

A dry boat will have a side that sweeps up from the keel, comes to a wide spot, and near the bow, will continue in a graceful arc outward. This appearance is called a reverse chine.

The effect of this reverse chine, is that as a boats bow comes in contact with a wave and drops down into the water, the water begans to sweep up the side of the hull. But with boats having a reverse chine - particularly near the bow area will have the rising water from the wave come in contact with the reverse chine and change direction outward.
The result is a boat ride that tends to be very smooth and very dry.

In contrast - boats which do not have this built in reverse chine find that as the rising water from the bows entrance into the hull will have the water continue to rise higher, higher and higher. The result is that off a large wave, the rising wave might rise to 5-10 feet higher than the bow of the boat. Now, unless you are running straight upwind or straight downwind, this 5-10 foot wall of spray will be directed back over the boats passengers getting them nice and wet.

I think that if you do your research, you will find that there are a few freshwater fishing boats having this very desirable characteristics. But you will typically not find this characteristic in the bulk of aluminum boats, simply because the metal of the hull of these boats can't be bent into this configuration, without breaking and fracturing.

----------
But, if you are considering on buying any boat - take a model of the boat that you are considering on buying out in both smooth, calm, rough and really wild water. Run upwind, downwind, quartering to the wind and cross wind.

Then, after riding in models of the boats that you are considering in smooth, mid range waves and heavy waves from speeds that are slow to wide open, you can reach your own conclusions with respect to ride and dryness of the passengers and driver of the boat.

I suspect that the results of these personal results might suprise you a great deal.

Test, ride, and arrive at your own conclusions.

When you test, ride and arrive at your own conclusions - try a bunch of boats, tiller, side console, walk through, center console, sit down, stand up, metal and fiberglass boats.

Let us know what you discover and what you finally decide to have in your harbor.

Take care
REW
Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Keeper

Both of those boat are soakers. As well as most aluminum tillers. Get a good rainsuit.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Mn View Post
Both of those boat are soakers. As well as most aluminum tillers. Get a good rainsuit.
X2.

I've never understood why they can't put a reverse chine on Alum boats. No reason they can't roll the alum to fit a gradual curve outward like that.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

Glass Boat, Warrior 2090T would be my choice in a tiller, Ive owned one.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

I own a 2005 17' explorer tiller. I agree with all the above posts. In my neck of the woods test rides(as Rew suggests are not an option,dealers just wont do it) I think all alum. tillers will get you wet under the right circumstances. That being said I was blown away, as were my fishing buds, by how soft and dry the new IPS hulls are.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Q View Post
In my neck of the woods test rides(as Rew suggests are not an option,dealers just wont do it)
If you have a dealer that won't let you do a test ride, I'd tell them to shove it and walk away. That's a lot of cash to plunk down without knowing what you are buying.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Well... you wouldn't be buying a boat in Saskatchewan then. Dealers are not near water and don't carry that many models.....life in sask.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Q View Post
Well... you wouldn't be buying a boat in Saskatchewan then. Dealers are not near water and don't carry that many models.....life in sask.
I guess we are spoiled down here.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with the other guys
The Alum tillers are soakers. (I do own one)

So look at the glass boats as well