Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
LSS 1 or 2 transducer? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 AM
Wallhanger

Default LSS 1 or 2 transducer?

Looking at the size of those transducers, how prone are are they to breaking? If you stop for shore lunch or get to shallow at an access will they snap off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

I think thats why most put it under the set back step or on the jack plate. You can also get a shield from Tranducershield that will protect it. You need to make sure wherever its mounted that it has a clear shot to both sides or will will get interference
Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Slot Fish

I'm concerned about this too. With my smaller tiller boat I think the 10'' long transducer (not to mention the length out from the boat with bracket) might be too long and the motor will be in the way of proper readings unless trimmed way up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Keeper

I have a 1725 Lund Pro Guide with a 60 hp Yamaha tiller and have mine mounted just to the port side of the lower unit as close to the motor as possible without coming in contact at any motor angle and I am getting great signal response. So far no problem with damaging it. The mount does swing up if you hit something but side to side impacts could do damage I think.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Slot Fish

The main thing you loose with Lss2 over the Lss1 is the selectable frequency. I have worked with sonar and seismic for over 30 years professionally and they will not be able to convince me that 455khz will give you better resolution than 800khz and with Lss2 you don't get that high frequency choice. Therefore I recommend that you get Lss1 while you can. Plus it is physically long enough to be a towfish which is the kind of sidescan transducer I am accustomed to but wouldnt recommend for a fishing boat.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrappieKyle View Post
The main thing you loose with Lss2 over the Lss1 is the selectable frequency. I have worked with sonar and seismic for over 30 years professionally and they will not be able to convince me that 455khz will give you better resolution than 800khz and with Lss2 you don't get that high frequency choice. Therefore I recommend that you get Lss1 while you can. Plus it is physically long enough to be a towfish which is the kind of sidescan transducer I am accustomed to but wouldnt recommend for a fishing boat.
Interesting developments? http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-e...essions-3.html