Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tips for pulling boards around other boats - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Tips for pulling boards around other boats

>Good post eye4aneye. Couldnt agree with you more expecialy
>the best part. Man!!! is that fun when a hog hits and there
>almost stoped!!!
>
>THERE'S ONE!!!

I've caught some really nice fish while sitting at a dead stop. Most guys don't believe it but especially DLR's will draw strikes when sitting totally still for over a minute (requires dead calm conditions, of course). I don't know what it is about the DLR's, they must slowly wiggle upwards or something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Keeper

This post is right on. We were discussing the same thing on Saturday morning as we were trolling in and around a big pack out of Bolles Harbor. It just seems like people either don't pay attention until it's too late, or they're so stubborn they aren't going to alter their course for anyone or anything. I even keep binoculars with me so I can tell as early as possible whether a boat is trolling or drifting.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
cjb

and WATCH OUT FOR DRIFTERS!!!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've been snagged by a troller that runs over my lines off the back of our drifting boat or gotten honked and waved at by a big boat becuase I was "in their way" (the later has happened several times with one particular Lorain area charter running a big catamaran boat).

I realize a boat running boards with 10 lines on each side needs room, and that it isn't always easy to determine if a boat you are aproaching is trollong or drifting, but the vessel under power has the responsibility of avoiding the vessel NOT under power.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
cjb

and WATCH OUT FOR DRIFTERS!!!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've been snagged by a troller that runs over my lines off the back of our drifting boat or gotten honked and waved at by a big boat becuase I was "in their way" (the later has happened several times with one particular Lorain area charter running a big catamaran boat).

I realize a boat running boards with 10 lines on each side needs room, and that it isn't always easy to determine if a boat you are aproaching is trollong or drifting, but the vessel under power has the responsibility of avoiding the vessel NOT under power.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 AM
rules are rules

> > Most small boats usually troll downwind, but the bigger
>boats have spent big bucks on autopilots and can go any
>direction they want. If you are in a small boat trolling
>upwind, in my opinion, it behooves you to get out of everyones
>way (you are the odd man out).
>
>There are still laws on the water and the big boats need to abide by them also. We were pushed in circles by the bear on Sunday. That's not right. I've spent big bucks on my boat too, they are no more special than I am. It should not matter who has a bigger boat. it should matter who has the right of way . All parties need to work together on the water.
When you have the right of way and keep getting pinched to the point of stopping the boat you tend to get ticked.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 AM
rules are rules

> > Most small boats usually troll downwind, but the bigger
>boats have spent big bucks on autopilots and can go any
>direction they want. If you are in a small boat trolling
>upwind, in my opinion, it behooves you to get out of everyones
>way (you are the odd man out).
>
>There are still laws on the water and the big boats need to abide by them also. We were pushed in circles by the bear on Sunday. That's not right. I've spent big bucks on my boat too, they are no more special than I am. It should not matter who has a bigger boat. it should matter who has the right of way . All parties need to work together on the water.
When you have the right of way and keep getting pinched to the point of stopping the boat you tend to get ticked.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

A drifting boat doesn't have any more priveledge than a trolling boat does.

Sunday, Bear was one of the first boats out there, as the day wore on he kept going further and further east and south to stay out of the pack although I'm sure he would have rather stayed where he was. Give me a break, he's the one getting pushed out of his spot and doesn't complain about it either! He puts people on fish and then they complain because he's there.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

A drifting boat doesn't have any more priveledge than a trolling boat does.

Sunday, Bear was one of the first boats out there, as the day wore on he kept going further and further east and south to stay out of the pack although I'm sure he would have rather stayed where he was. Give me a break, he's the one getting pushed out of his spot and doesn't complain about it either! He puts people on fish and then they complain because he's there.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
cjb

so, I should power up and move whenever a boat under way is headding towards me while I'm drifting?

I don't buy that...... While I'm drifting I keep a look out and move if I'm getting uncomfortably close to another boat and try not to set up in the direct path of trolling boats. But to tell me that I should move out of the way of a boat that is under power and driving towards me????? I don't care how big your spread is, you don't have the right of way.

If I were to do that, there is a good chance I would make the situation worse by moving where the aproaching boat wants to go, or by moving where another boat was planning on heading to steer clear of me.

I agree that a drifting boat is no better than a troling boat, but is is still the responsability of the boat under power to steer clear. SO, please watch out for drift fishing boats, or anchored boats.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
cjb

so, I should power up and move whenever a boat under way is headding towards me while I'm drifting?

I don't buy that...... While I'm drifting I keep a look out and move if I'm getting uncomfortably close to another boat and try not to set up in the direct path of trolling boats. But to tell me that I should move out of the way of a boat that is under power and driving towards me????? I don't care how big your spread is, you don't have the right of way.

If I were to do that, there is a good chance I would make the situation worse by moving where the aproaching boat wants to go, or by moving where another boat was planning on heading to steer clear of me.

I agree that a drifting boat is no better than a troling boat, but is is still the responsability of the boat under power to steer clear. SO, please watch out for drift fishing boats, or anchored boats.

Closed Thread