Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-12-2004, 08:56 AM
DHD

Default Trolling

If anyone owns a 125 Mercury that is 2 years old or less and have troll with it . My question is that, I would like to be able to troll with my 125 and if I do will this be OK ? will it overload ? I troll about 1hr at a time not alot, but do like to troll.Not sure it is worth the money to but a 4 stroke or a kicker. Just would like to know your thoughts.I got to try this year for a day and troll about 2.1 that should be slow enough ??
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 08:56 AM
DHD

Default Trolling

If anyone owns a 125 Mercury that is 2 years old or less and have troll with it . My question is that, I would like to be able to troll with my 125 and if I do will this be OK ? will it overload ? I troll about 1hr at a time not alot, but do like to troll.Not sure it is worth the money to but a 4 stroke or a kicker. Just would like to know your thoughts.I got to try this year for a day and troll about 2.1 that should be slow enough ??
Thanks
Old 03-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Trolling

IMHO, yes, you are fine to troll with that motor. We trolled with our 90 merc 2 stroke a TON, and we do troll with our 150efi as well. Like you, we don't sit at idle speed trolling forever. Withour 90, we could start to tell when it would load up, and we simply went for a little ride to blow the oil out. Worked every time. Then back to trolling.

2.1 is about perfect, if you need any slower you proll will need a small kicker or an electric. We use electric for slow stuff. Many people say you need a kicker, and that is true if you troll 6-8 or more hours per day. But for casual trollers, no need, IMHO, unless you got lots o cash ;)

Good luck,
-Box

https://www.walleyecentral.com/photop...&ppuser=103808
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

IMHO, yes, you are fine to troll with that motor. We trolled with our 90 merc 2 stroke a TON, and we do troll with our 150efi as well. Like you, we don't sit at idle speed trolling forever. Withour 90, we could start to tell when it would load up, and we simply went for a little ride to blow the oil out. Worked every time. Then back to trolling.

2.1 is about perfect, if you need any slower you proll will need a small kicker or an electric. We use electric for slow stuff. Many people say you need a kicker, and that is true if you troll 6-8 or more hours per day. But for casual trollers, no need, IMHO, unless you got lots o cash ;)

Good luck,
-Box

https://www.walleyecentral.com/photop...&ppuser=103808
Old 03-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I have a '01 125 Merc and troll some. Never have had a problem with mine. I think you're fine.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I have a '01 125 Merc and troll some. Never have had a problem with mine. I think you're fine.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Keeper

I have a 90 hp Mariner (Merc) 2 - stroke, and used it to troll for 2 seasons. I used a trolling plate (Happy Troller) mounted on the engine, to slow down (could go as slow as about .9 mph).
I usually troll for about 2 - 4 hours at a time.

The trolling plate also allows you to run at a a slightly faster R.P.M. than at idle, so: 1. the alternator is charging your battery (about 800 - 900 R.P.M.) for my engine AND 2. the motor (spark plugs) do not "load up" near as easily.

My fishing buddy has a Merc 125 hp 2 - stroke (w/ a Happy Troller plate), and also trolls for hours at a time. In fact, his 125 (4 cylinder), trolls smoother than my 90 (3 cylinder).

I did put a 6 hp Yamaha 4 - stroke "kicker" on, last year; and took the trolling plate off. In my case, the reasons were:
1. Way less hours on my main engine
2. The low noise level, (and low fuel useage) of the 4 - stroke kicker
3. No smoke (from the kicker)
4. A way to get off the lake, in case the main engine should ever fail.

If you are only trolling for an hour or so at a time, I would recommend a trolling plate (about $ 80). There are times when you may want to troll slower than your current 2.1 mph.
Just remember to "trip" the plate, putting it up, before running fast!

T man
Old 03-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Keeper

I have a 90 hp Mariner (Merc) 2 - stroke, and used it to troll for 2 seasons. I used a trolling plate (Happy Troller) mounted on the engine, to slow down (could go as slow as about .9 mph).
I usually troll for about 2 - 4 hours at a time.

The trolling plate also allows you to run at a a slightly faster R.P.M. than at idle, so: 1. the alternator is charging your battery (about 800 - 900 R.P.M.) for my engine AND 2. the motor (spark plugs) do not "load up" near as easily.

My fishing buddy has a Merc 125 hp 2 - stroke (w/ a Happy Troller plate), and also trolls for hours at a time. In fact, his 125 (4 cylinder), trolls smoother than my 90 (3 cylinder).

I did put a 6 hp Yamaha 4 - stroke "kicker" on, last year; and took the trolling plate off. In my case, the reasons were:
1. Way less hours on my main engine
2. The low noise level, (and low fuel useage) of the 4 - stroke kicker
3. No smoke (from the kicker)
4. A way to get off the lake, in case the main engine should ever fail.

If you are only trolling for an hour or so at a time, I would recommend a trolling plate (about $ 80). There are times when you may want to troll slower than your current 2.1 mph.
Just remember to "trip" the plate, putting it up, before running fast!

T man
Old 03-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

I don't troll with a 125 but I think you neeed to consider a couple things. If you are successful will you still only troll an hour -- maybe 3 or 4?? How much longer will your main motor last if you have a kicker? Maybe a bood mechanic could help you? Copare cost of main motor use to kicker -- in terms of new purchse, not gas. If you decide main motor is way to go you might consider a couple of trolling bags for lower speeds and you can also drop them in from time to time just to kick up rpms... Best bags I think are from Amish Outfitters -- http://www.amishoutfitters.com/ They are made from trolling.

rod bender bob
Old 03-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

I don't troll with a 125 but I think you neeed to consider a couple things. If you are successful will you still only troll an hour -- maybe 3 or 4?? How much longer will your main motor last if you have a kicker? Maybe a bood mechanic could help you? Copare cost of main motor use to kicker -- in terms of new purchse, not gas. If you decide main motor is way to go you might consider a couple of trolling bags for lower speeds and you can also drop them in from time to time just to kick up rpms... Best bags I think are from Amish Outfitters -- http://www.amishoutfitters.com/ They are made from trolling.

rod bender bob