Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mercury oil Synth Blend - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Slot Fish

Default Mercury oil Synth Blend

Hi guys,

Anyone knows the difference between the Mercury Sterndrive/Inboard Synth Blend 25W40 engine oil and the Mercury Outboard Synth Blend 25W40 engine oil ?

I am asking because in my area here in Canada the outboard oil is $63 a gallon and the sterndrive is $47 - I really wonder if there is a difference between these two oil.

momo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Slot Fish

I asked Mercury the difference between their Mercruiser synthetic blend (the sterndrive stuff you are referring to) and the Outboard synthetic blend..here is their response:
Quote:
Re: Mercury 90 hp EFI Four Stroke

Mr. ----,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your 90 hp Mercury EFI motor, serial # --------. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

The 25W-40 oil that has "Mercruiser" on the label, is the same identical oil as the container that does not have "Mercruiser" on the label.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.

Sincerely,

Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance
Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Slot Fish

Thanks Crunchy,

Well it is answering most of my question and I also asked Mercury and they gave me an answer which doesn't really say NO but not YES, their answer to me was ''acceptable'' -

Here is what they answered me:

Quote:
Dear Mr. ---:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Mercury Outboard motor. We appreciate this opportunity to respond to your questions.

Using Mercury/Quicksilver branded 25W-40 Mercruiser oil is acceptable for use in your 115hp four-stroke outboard. To obtain this item as well as any other Mercury part or accessory, please visit any authorized Mercury dealer or online retailer. For a list of authorized mercury dealers in your area please visit the following link: http://www.mercurymarine.com/find-a-dealer/ .

We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.

Sincerely,

Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance

from there what I believe it is most probably the same oil but since the range of 4 strokes between 75-hp and 115-hp is wider on the market than all the others 4 strokes they sold - they are taking advantage of this by selling the oil with the label ''Outboard Synth Blend" with a higher price tag.

MHO

momo