Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Devils Lake NWT - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 09-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Minnow

Default Dq's

I heard there were a few DQ's today for bringing more than 5 fish to the bump tank. This seems ridiculous to me since they were allowed 8 in the well and then weigh the top 5. Contestants were told to release their extra fish. ND is a no cull state, therefore they shouldn't be releasing the fish after they have been in the livewell. The ND Game and Fish used to allow some live release tournaments years ago but recently they have been against it. Mortality rate is going to be very high on these released fish after being best up in the wind. This whole thing seems wrong... A couple of these people had 14 pound weights on the live leaderboard but a zero on the final results... I'd like to hear the NWT's justification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyes n whitetails View Post
i heard there were a few dq's today for bringing more than 5 fish to the bump tank. This seems ridiculous to me since they were allowed 8 in the well and then weigh the top 5. Contestants were told to release their extra fish. Nd is a no cull state, therefore they shouldn't be releasing the fish after they have been in the livewell. The nd game and fish used to allow some live release tournaments years ago but recently they have been against it. Mortality rate is going to be very high on these released fish after being best up in the wind. This whole thing seems wrong... A couple of these people had 14 pound weights on the live leaderboard but a zero on the final results... I'd like to hear the nwt's justification.
agreed.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Keeper

Default Culling

Just to clarify, culling is NOT releasing fish. Culling is replacing fish or the high grading of the fish in your live well. Not saying the rule was right or wrong, but don't mistake the definition.

In the NWT's defense, they need to have integrity and enforce their rules..... Was the rule a good one?? I will not defend that, but regardless rules need to be enforced at all times.

MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 AM
Keeper

I heard that they announced the "throw back your fish rule" via radio just before take off yesterday and not at the rules meeting. Can anyone verify this? If they didn't announce it at the rules meeting, I can see how there could have been some confusion. I suppose it is possible that not all of the anglers had their marine radio on at take off.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Wallhanger

Yes it is only culling once you reach a limit. In MN its illegal to cull, but its legal to throw back before you have your limit.

If the limit is 5. Once you put the 5th fish in the livewell you are done, but if you have 3 fish in the livewell, and catch one (4th fish) you can put that in the livewell and then release a smaller fish, leaving you with only 3 fish. At least that is the state of MN rule, some tournaments are more stricter, which is totally up to them.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Keeper

That explains why on live leaderboard Jacob Ell and Gary maher each had 14 lbs and ow shows zero. that seems kinda silly
Old 09-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

In ND once a fish is reduced to your possession, IE placing it in your live well, in a cooler, or on a stringer, it is a violation of state law to return it to the water. This is the case in many states. Many times as tournament anglers we are told to release our extra fish before returning to the scales which is a violation of state law, unless the permits are written as such. I do not know that for sure or not.

I have asked about this before and never gotten an answer. It is amazing that it has not come up until now. I agree that none of us on the sidelines know what was said at a rules meeting or at the take of so judgment should not be passed, but it is an interesting thing to be DQed for. The truth will surface eventually.

Johnnie Candle
Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwalleyehunter View Post
Yes it is only culling once you reach a limit. In MN its illegal to cull, but its legal to throw back before you have your limit.

If the limit is 5. Once you put the 5th fish in the livewell you are done, but if you have 3 fish in the livewell, and catch one (4th fish) you can put that in the livewell and then release a smaller fish, leaving you with only 3 fish. At least that is the state of MN rule, some tournaments are more stricter, which is totally up to them.
We are in ND and in ND you must release fish immediately, any fish not released must be kept and counted towards your daily limit. Again it really surprises me the G&F would permit this. It just seems dumb!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

From what I read the law states unless written permission is given, as to rge releasing of fish.

According to one of the DQ,d anglers fb page the NWT has tgr written permission.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Minnow

Default Bad decision by the ND Game and Fish Dept.

This is really sucks for those guys, spend all that money and get your weight thrown out because you were following a ND law! I don't agree with the NWT's judgment on this.

But what really makes me mad is the G&F allowing this! This is what makes people dislike tournaments... They are allowing tournament anglers an exception... THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN! And then The mortality rate is going to be at least 75%, when non-tournament anglers see that they will be even more upset. Not a good decision in my eyes.