Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Black flies - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-14-2003, 06:12 AM
Gary_IA

Default RE: Black flies

The flies I remember used to bite through my stockings. (I always wear a long sleave shirt.) I started wearing zip up overshoes. A little hot but better than getting bit. I later switched to wearing my hunting boots (high top). Again a little warm but better than being bit on the ankles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2003, 07:18 AM
Dave, Canadian Guy

We weren't bothered by black flies/mosquitos once this past ice fishing season, and that is the only surefire way you'll not be pestered by our wonderfull national bird(s). On the other hand if you simply must come up for the open water season don't wear yellow or blue ( accidently spilling some of the latter on yourself is ok but will likely be frowned upon by your buddies)they seem to be attracted to those colours (who can understand the workings of the insect mind?)
Bring/buy a good supply of bug dope, whichever brand you prefer I've tried them all they all work somewhat, and most importantly pray that the fish are biting like wild. If the fishing is awesome the bugs don't seem to bother you as much. Other than having a squadron of trained bats.......
Old 04-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Slot Fish

There was a huge number of those "house flies" in Northeast MN last July, too. Drove me & the kids crazy. I remember driving on Hwy 61 through a construction zone and I saw a construction worker (sign holder) ahead who was wearing a black leather jacket. I though "Jee, it's pretty hot to wear a leather jacket - the flies must be bugging him a lot!"

As we were driving past him at 10 mph he moved an elbow or something and suddenly his jacket was flying around him and he was shirt and jacketless - he had been covered in flies! Eeew!:'(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2003, 06:13 PM

Any good bugsuit seems to work best for me and our crew. I tryed the B1 and garlic thing... not the results I have hoped for. Checkout Cabelas or Basspro for the suits.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:41 PM
Deeter

Howdy
As said previously, a good bug repellent such as Muskol or Deep Woods Off will work. I would also invest in a Bug Shirt. Also remember, the windier spots will have less bugs...so if you venture into a calm back bay be prepared for millions of them. Another important factor is that Black Flies will not bite if you are indoors. For some reason you can have your cottage door wide open and the place might be filled with them but they will not bite until you go outside...I could never figure that one out but it's %100 true.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:00 PM
chief

The flies were so bad last year. My leg got so infected from the bites they had to amputate it.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:06 PM
buckeyebowhunter

best thing that i have found is a carlos fuente "signature series" and keep it lit ...small puff of smoke here and there did wonders...
the other thing that worked was to make sure we fished on a windy point...not one of the slack backwater sheltered places