Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pete Harsh Speaks Out! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM
The Fishing Fanatics

Default Pete Harsh Speaks Out!

Pete Harsh let's us all in on what he's thinking about the future of walleye tournaments on The Fishing Fanatics radio show. You can check it out right here on Walleye Central:

https://www.walleyecentral.com/articles/?a=2202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Minnow

I missed it. So what did he say, in a nut shell?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Archive Pete Harsh interview recording is a good listen

I listened to the Pete Harsh interview at The Fishing Fanatics website yesterday. Good, articulate discussion although there is certainly room for debate on the state of the industry and its future. Follow the link on the original post to get to the site then click the Archives blog. Pete was on for about the final 10-15 minutes.

Give it a listen!
TrollerMan
Waconia MN USA

Go Vikes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Keeper

well.....hehehehe thats why they have chevys and fords, black and white, and original recipe or extra crispy.... He sees it one way, others see it another and neither one is wrong. Now in good jornalism, landahl needs to have a pro-aim guy on next.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 AM
hey now

The Fishing Fanatics have AIM people on all of the time. Todd Riley, the Parsons, Keith K., Scott Matheson, etc.

I agree though. There are always two sides to a coin. Pete sure calls them as he sees them.

I love getting that show through Walleye Central. Very fun stuff.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

The reality of the tourney game is that it is and always has been an expensive proposition. Some may have entered it with dreams of fame and sponsers, but many understand it is an expensive hobby.
Perhaps the bad economy has weeded out the dreamers.
Take care,
Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Keeper

Letting anything weed out the dreamers is what will kill the sport. The dreamers are the ones who keep it alive...not the ones that have already made it.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Keeper

"When somebody has the intestinal fortitude to state the real questions to the real problems without fear of getting his/her poste deleted, then and only then will tournament walleye problems be solved one way or another."

Public forums such as this will never be the "fix" to the tournament problem even if someone's posts do not get deleted. The problem lies within the minds of some that think that walleye tournaments are the best thing to come around and everyone should cozy up to it. The day when everyone comes to the realization that tournaments appeal to a very small group of people AND the attitudes start paralleling the reality... then, and only then, will the tournament problem be solved. Tournaments are the only "business" that is ran totally opposite to economic common sense.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Maybe

Maybe The Fishing Fanatics should invite Pete Harsh back for an entire show?

Then maybe he can speak his mind about everything to do with the professional walleye tournament industry and the pro fishing industry in general.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Slot Fish

I listened and thought for the most part Pete made some good comments.

Was AIM's timing the best, no. Do tournments need to stay closer to their fan base and anglers' home states allowing more people to chase the dream, absolutely. Should tournemnts be more inclusive, sure. I like the idea of a divisional format so the "touring pro" can fish both divisions and then the less established or more restricted angler can fish 3 events in their division and qualify for the championship. My concern is that this format has already been done by the defunct PWT and when they were doing it many wanted change. Maybe the PWT's tweaking of the system from divisional to the "Super Pro" was going from the "working and long lasting" formula to one that sounded good but was less viable? Remember though that the RCL/FLW was started while the PWT had the divisional format so it wasn't the answer for everyone at that time either.

Pete is a smart guy and there is no way that he is going to come out and make any harsh criticizms of FLW or on the other hand overly supportive of AIM. The parent company of his boat sponsor owns the tournament that he supports. Negative comments towards them is sort of biting the hand that feeds him.

One question I have is, who says that a full time "touring " pro is the correct model? All pros talk of attrition and lack of sponsorship and in the end the lack of dollars to be able to be a "full time" pro. Maybe that is the issue? At the end of the day the Walleye "game" may not be able to be a full time gig. Maybe everyone, anglers, tourney trails, and sponsors, needs to reconsider their position.

Just my thoughts,
Brian