Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
trailer steps - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Keeper

I'm looking for a set as well. Here's my only concern. I don't want a set that either get's too close to the bow of the boat or the roller wheel. I've tried loading my boat in some nasty cross winds and got the boat a bit crossed up when loading the trailing. If the boat doesn't line up on the bunks clean, your nose of the boat could actually slide past the roller then dig it's precious glass body into the steps. It's a slim chance but I'm not chancing it. I looks as though the custom steps stay pretty clear of the bow.

Juls, would you say that's right on your rig?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddarthief View Post

Juls, would you say that's right on your rig?

I haven't found it to be an issue. I take my time and nestle it in the back bunks before trying to motor up to the winch. Rangers do a lot better at windy landings that high sided aluminum boats, so just slow down when loading, and control the boat. I think I read that you have a Ranger now, right?

Thinking back to all the times that I did miss the back bunks (probably 3-4 times in the past decade, due to strong wind), and had to back off the trailer again to center it... I was never going fast enough to overshoot the bunks by that far anyway, so the steps wouldn't have interfered.

The only way I would ever own another boat without these steps, is if Mark stops making them.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 04-24-2014, 07:12 AM
Slot Fish

Cheddarthie, in the 12 years I've been building steps I've never had one complaint. My design and location of the steps are far enough forward and out that they don't come into play when loading correctly. I've got steps on just about every boat and trailer combo out there and no one has every had a problem. Nothing is impossible so if you back your trailer in so deep that the boat doesn't touch the rollers or bunks before meeting the front roller then yes it might be a problem. In that case the steps might stop you from hitting your tow vehicle. Lol. I've tested loading boats in strong current, high winds, shallow ramps, steep ramps and never have had a problem. If you have any questions at all just drop me a line and we can talk about them.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Walker View Post
well here they are! terrific, and for me the grab pole is a great addition! snuck out on a open area of leech today, guess what?I was the only one out, go figure, still lots of ice but it'll be gone before our May 10th opener, I am confident.

Dave,

Thanks for posting this info. Those steps look great! I really like the way the grab post is set up. I'm in my 60's and don't seem to be getter any younger, so I too would like some kind of grab post to help with balance on the steps. I should be able to pick up my new boat next week. Then I'll call Stepman to see what he can build for me. Thanks again for your posting on the steps.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLewellin View Post
I had mine custom made by a friend. I had fallen a couple of times going over the tung when loading the boat so I switched my trolling motor to the starboard side and my custom made steps are on the port side. Everything I do now is on the port side except the trailer tie down for the starboard side but thats at the back anyways. I also wired both battery chargers to one plug on the port side which I can reach easily without getting in the boat.
WOW, i wish i had a buddy like that!! You should take him fishing. I have never seen a Shorlander trailer with a winch post like that. Did you order it that way?? Wiredog
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Keeper

Just a quick question.... How do you protect the trailer frame where you bolt the steps on at? Do the u bolts damage the paint on the trailer?
Thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Wallhanger

do the u bolts damage the paint? I imagine they might, you could put something between them and maybe protect the paint? but remember your trailer frame paint is getting way more damage potential going down the road. non issue with me
Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofisihn View Post
Just a quick question.... How do you protect the trailer frame where you bolt the steps on at? Do the u bolts damage the paint on the trailer?
Thanks
I had a set of steps on a black Shoremaster for my 1975 Lund Pro V for one year. I took them off after one year prior to selling my boat and you couldn't tell they were ever on the trailer.

Mark will calculate where the u bolts need to go. If you are unsure, give him a call and ask. You don't have to buy, compile the information. If you are satisfied, call him back and order them.

Good Luck!

Roy
Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 AM
Keeper

I gotta say, Mark gave me a call yesterday and talked me through the process shortly after I sent him a pm. That certainly goes a long way to build confidence. I'm feelin pretty good about his company. I have worked in customer service all of my life..... this guy knows how to do it. Judging from all the comments on here from you guys the product it top shelf as well.
If I decide to go with steps I imagine Mark will get my business as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Of course you are right.
Step ladder is great at home but not out away from home.

Be safe and don't slip.