Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
pointing labs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 PM
drake54

Default pointing labs

I have a 10 year old best friend black lab, I know time is coming to find his replacement. Does anyone have a recomendation for a breeder of pointing labs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

I found these just by searching "Pointing Labs" via Yahoo search.

I can't vouch for either as I haven't used either. I adopted my last 2 dogs from people who needed to find a home for their pure bred Labs. By the way, both point -- at times -- until the bird starts to move. I have been told by breeders that most Labs will point instinctively until the owners push them out of that behavior. I don't know if that is true or not. Seems to be that way with my two Labs.

Both of these sites appear to be legit and in the business for 30+ years.

http://www.iowapointinglabs.com/

http://www.pointinglabs.com/pages/home

I'd do a Yahoo search and visit one of the resulting sites near your home, if there is one. I would expect any such site would be willing to supply references, including past customers and vets.

And, by the way, my female Black Lab is 11. My male Chocolate is 5. I hunted them both for 4 hours yesterday afternoon. The mild winter we are having has allowed me to get my Black some extra hunts this year. She is mostly blind now and also pretty deaf. BUT she is still a heck of a hunter and loves her job. She and I were both a little stiff this morning ... but I gave her a 10-minute rub down and my wife took them for a 20 minute walk ... and all are doing fine. With me being 64 now ... I was as stiff as my female ... and had leg muscle cramps last night. GatorAde is a wonderful thing ... and so is Ascripton (for me) ... my female has her own pain pills from the vet -- due to a long-term illness.

I know this is not a specific breeder recommendation, but I hope this helps. Good luck with your choice.

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Last edited by 2Labs; 01-28-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Minnow

Hi, My lab will point from time to time. Her mother points quite often! I just had my female bread last week! These dogs have great bloodlines! I kept a pup out of their last litter a year and a half ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Keeper

ok this might be stupid but why not get a pointing breed
Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyhunter47 View Post
ok this might be stupid but why not get a pointing breed
+1 Wiredog
Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Wallhanger

I have a black lab that will point. I also have a beagle that will retrieve. Only one problem is the lab points at the bread on the counter then the floor and the beagle retrieves it to the couch where they both eat it. Just a note that the lab is 115# 17 years old bad hips and a great personality. At one time she was a great hunter but now she is a couch queen.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Minnow

See the link below. This gentlemen will hook you up with a great pointing lab.

http://www.cogghill.com/

Gillmaster
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Keeper

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/

This site also has its crazy people selling over priced dogs but if you get passed that there are a lot of good breeders on here. Look out for the people that breed show dogs and try to pass them off as hunters too. I like to find a breeder that does the NAVHDA or NSTRA. Then you know there parents are out there kicking birds up.

+2 for the wirehair or another pointing breed. I'm going to get dragged through the cattails for this but a lab does not have the nose that a pointing breed does so if you want a pointer I say buy a pointer.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-er-man View Post
http://www.gundogbreeders.com/

a lab does not have the nose that a pointing breed does

I respectfully disagree, as do my labs.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Keeper

no matter what dog you have its the best. me i like pointers if i was a duck hunter i would have a lab i hunt grouse and ring necks so i like the pointers i have a 10 year old english setter and a 3 year old LARGE munsterlander both are good bird dogs for me my next dog will be another Large Munsterlander