Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Washed & Waxed. :-) - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Keeper

Location: Illinois- Where there’s a good chance your license plates were made by a former Governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ellis View Post
Acetone on a rag will remove the old wax best and its a fraction of the price, and quicker to do also. Either way will get good results.

Be careful with acetone. It is hazardous to handle. It will penetrate ordinary rubber gloves and mess with your blood pressure. I think an auto parts store would have the proper protective gear to safely use it. Also, ventilate to avoid inhalation.

Rick
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Wallhanger

The wax on the bottom of the hull actually creates sort of a suction (as explained to me by a fella who races boats)... used the "sweating cocktail glass on a glass table in the summer...creates the puddle of water on the table and completely surrounds the glass... and when you pick it up there's that subtle 'suction' feeling????? That what wax does to the bottom of a boat. Not sure but I think he also mentioned they "rough up" the pad with sand paper or similar material.

Boat looks really nice!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Jinx,
Go to your grocery store or supermarket, or hardware store and pick up some
"iron out".

http://www.soap.com/p/super-iron-out...ci_kw={keyword}

Use a sponge to wet the area with the rust rings.
Put a bit of the iron out powder on the sponge. Put the sponge on the rings and rub it enough to be sure that the area is well covered. Leave it alone for 5 minutes. Take a bucket of clean water and rinse the area, and you will find that the spot is gone.

The rust in the spot combines withe the chemicals in the cleaner to transform the iron into a water soluble substance. Then, water will rinse it away.

By the way, Iron out, works well in a washing machine for whites, that might have a slight or gross yellow or brown stain from iron.
Iron out will also remove iron stains in a bath, sink or toilet as well. Just get the area wet, and then use the same technique.

I always keep a container of Iron Out in my boat - along with a pair of heavy long rubber gloves. When using Iron Out, it is a good idea to use the rubber gloves to protect your skin from any chemical reaction.

By the way, when I bought my boat, the manufacturer recommended Iron out for this very thing.

I keep the iron out in the boat, so that any time that I have been in a body of water with heavy iron deposits and find a brown rust water line on the boat, I use the cleaner to remove the rusty water line. I spray down the boat, go over the line with a sponge filled with Iron out, and by the time I get around the boat, go back over the boat and spray it off. The rusty water line will be gone.
I also find that Iron out works very well for hard to remove general stains on the fiberglass. I always keep a couple of fiberglass scrubees in the cleaning locker. When cleaning the boat, if I have run into a spot that won't come clean, I just wet the area, dump some powder on the scrubee, go over the stain a few times with the scrubee, and the spot is gone.

Take care
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Jinx,
Go to your grocery store or supermarket, or hardware store and pick up some
"iron out".

http://www.soap.com/p/super-iron-out-rust-stain-remover-66639?site=CI&utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=CPC_S&utm_ campaign=Google&utm_content=pla&ci_sku=SMT-004&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Use a sponge to wet the area with the rust rings.
Put a bit of the iron out powder on the sponge. Put the sponge on the rings and rub it enough to be sure that the area is well covered. Leave it alone for 5 minutes. Take a bucket of clean water and rinse the area, and you will find that the spot is gone.

The rust in the spot combines withe the chemicals in the cleaner to transform the iron into a water soluble substance. Then, water will rinse it away.

By the way, Iron out, works well in a washing machine for whites, that might have a slight or gross yellow or brown stain from iron.
Iron out will also remove iron stains in a bath, sink or toilet as well. Just get the area wet, and then use the same technique.

I always keep a container of Iron Out in my boat - along with a pair of heavy long rubber gloves. When using Iron Out, it is a good idea to use the rubber gloves to protect your skin from any chemical reaction.

By the way, when I bought my boat, the manufacturer recommended Iron out for this very thing.

I keep the iron out in the boat, so that any time that I have been in a body of water with heavy iron deposits and find a brown rust water line on the boat, I use the cleaner to remove the rusty water line. I spray down the boat, go over the line with a sponge filled with Iron out, and by the time I get around the boat, go back over the boat and spray it off. The rusty water line will be gone.
I also find that Iron out works very well for hard to remove general stains on the fiberglass. I always keep a couple of fiberglass scrubees in the cleaning locker. When cleaning the boat, if I have run into a spot that won't come clean, I just wet the area, dump some powder on the scrubee, go over the stain a few times with the scrubee, and the spot is gone.

Take care
REW

Thanks!!! I'll give that a try! :-)
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 AM
unregistered

Default pledge

Boat looks great! I am also quite particular with how my boat looks. Not because I want to be known as the guy with the nice looking rig, but because I want it to last. I wax mine a couple times a year. Usually at the start of the year and towards the end. One product that I had heard about using for in between wax jobs was Pledge. I tried it last year and really like how it looks afterwards. Nice shiney finish! I normally wash it down when I'm done for the day and put a coat of Pledge on it. Anyone else use it?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Minnow

Beauty boat Jinx, did you pick that up at Maple City? Got my Reata there 2 years ago. Good people to deal with.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnjig View Post
Beauty boat Jinx, did you pick that up at Maple City? Got my Reata there 2 years ago. Good people to deal with.

No I bought my last one the 2005 Reata 1850vs there. This is a 2007 1850vs that I bought privately from a seller in Michigan about 45 minutes from where I live. I personally think this boat looks brand new...only a couple of minor scratches and one deep one that I'm going to try to get fixed.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Wallhanger

How do you fix deep scratches? I have a few where the guy must have ran into the trailer winch
Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Wallhanger

I'm just glad to know other people lay on the floor waxing the boat's every nook and cranny. My wife thought I was going overboard so I'll send her this thread to let her know this is how we roll in the walleye world.