Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Spearing Waves - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Minnow

Default Wet feet

I have a 621, and have taken countless waves over the bow while rigging in big wind with a bow mount. It gets a little annoying, but the bow mount stays in the water, unlike the lunds, warriors, and crestliners drifting around unable to use their bow mounts because they can't keep them in the water! I don't mind the wet feet when being able to stay on top of fish while other's go screaming past while trying to drift. As far as spearing a wave while on plane I have never had a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Wallhanger

Never taken a wave over the bow of my WX2100 in 3.5 years on Oahe but did take a couple in my Alaskan 1800, hence wife was convinced that we needed WX2100.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Keeper

Took one over the bow this weekend on Mille Lacs in my 02' Crestliner 1850 Sportfish, trolling speed.

Man did we get wet Sunday morning trying to quarter into the waves doing about 9-10 mph (2-3' in the middle of the lake).....could not figure out any way to not get wet unless I went strait into them. I had the bow up but the wind just blew the spray right back at us.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311Hemi View Post
Took one over the bow this weekend on Mille Lacs in my 02' Crestliner 1850 Sportfish, trolling speed.

Man did we get wet Sunday morning trying to quarter into the waves doing about 9-10 mph (2-3' in the middle of the lake).....could not figure out any way to not get wet unless I went strait into them. I had the bow up but the wind just blew the spray right back at us.
Hmmm, that sounds like a bad memory. Man I don't miss my Wetliner.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Ther is a tradeoff for having a low profile boat. More control but he will get your feet wet once in awhile. that said, some are worse than others. Really steep and closely spaced chop like you get in high winds wil definitely get the better of my 1860 if I try to troll into them.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

BobK
That certainly seems to work for lots of folks:
REW
Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Keeper

We have been out on Leech Lake in 3 to 4' waves and trying to see how the Skeeter WX2000T would take the waves. We would try to see if it would plow or spear a wave and with a little good fortune it never happened. I have been back trolling in 3' rollers on Rainy lake no real chop on top and stayed dry also. Skeeter looked at the Rnger and Yar Caft before trying to design a tiller boat and tried to replicate the things that they saw that were the strong points of the others. My friend owns the dealereship and we have tried many things to prove that the boat works as advertised and so far I am very happy. No boat is perfect but as far as I can see for a tiller walleye boat or even a boat with plenty of space for muskie fishing it is excellent. I must say I have never owned a Ranger or Yar Craft so I am certinally not putting down the other boats just commenting on how I see the Skeeter boat performing. I have been on other fishing trips on Winnie and other large lakes with guides running big Lunds and Ranger 620T's and they commented on how well the boat performed and are now looking at them for their next boat. The price point is good and so far I cannot complain on the quality or performance. Good luck!!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk View Post
Give me a break. A guy has trouble with a 620 that has the tank mounted too far foward and now you post like this is a problem with all 620's? I have dunked the bow twice in 7 years with my boat and both times I was going too slow and I was to blame. Learn to drive any boat and they will be fine. If you don't know how to drive a boat by all means blame it on the manufacturer.
Concerning because I've been running a 17.5 ft lund for years in huge rollers on the Columbia and have not once had any water come over the bow. There have been times when I thought it was going to happen but the bow just popped up enough to keep the water out. I just don't want to be in a boat where I have to worry about my feet getting wet just by sitting up front when jigging or trolling into big water. Been researching 18.5 to 20 ft boats now for a few years but havn't had a chance to test a 620. If waves are going to come over the front during slow speed trolling, jigging or rigging into the waves, it's just probably not the boat for me.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Keeper

Try Lake of the Woods in a 25 mph "chop". My Ranger handles the waves much better than my old Tracker did, but, if I'm trolling under 2.5mph, I will take a wave on occasion. Not sure there is a boat out there that wouldn't. I've seen just about every brand of boat come off of that lake when the high wind hits it and a lot of them kiss the ground when they come in. Soaked, but thankful they were on dry ground.

Joe

Last edited by reeltime84; 07-25-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Wallhanger

There will never be a clear cut answer here because everyones definition of "waves" is different. Conditions will never be the same and drivers will never be the same.

I have talked to guys at the launch coming in when we are heading out to salmon fish. They will say "we came in because of the 4'ers out there" Funny that when we get out there they are more like 2'ers. Most poeple just do not understand how big an actual 4'-5' roller is.

-Eli