Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pete Harsh Speaks Out! - Page 8 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiddyGills View Post

Far from off center KEVLAR. Take a look on where the competition of walleye fishing is at. It has lost it's roots...all over the place all one sees are complaints on payout amounts, making fun of bass fishermen and making light of recreational fishermen. The people who helped build the industry for you see it. People are wanting too much from an industry that cannot support the ideal dream many think they can achieve by just fishing. Tournaments started out as friendly competitions between fishermen with nothing more than bragging rights to walk away with.

The walleye realm consistently tries to compare themselves to bass when there is no comparison. Forget for the moment about the country wide spread of bass and just look at what the bass people do, not only on the field but mainly off the field. The bass clubs are going to lakes to spend the day pulling or cutting weeds, litter patrol and so on. They are a visual force for the public to see, not just fishing, spending some money in a community and leave saying "I spurred an economy for a day". Now where in the walleye world are the fishermen burning a weekend cleaning up the waters they fish? Please tell me, I would like some editors to know.

Think what you might about me, I gauge how accurate I am by the 36 publications I work with that have a veiwership of over 2.5 million people. You guys have an image problem whether you want to admit it or not. And shoving aside others that have a passion for the industry, just because it does not fit you view, will only speed up the demise.

As I stated in another thread, you may think it cute or funny, but you will regret it if you start poking the wrong bear. There are way too many people out there that could care less if you have tournaments to fish.
"you guys" do you always paint w/ such a broad brush?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Keeper

On this matter...yes. This is a tournament board so it is directed at the crowd that needs to hear it. Does every person fall into it personally...no, but everyone in competitive walleye fishing needs to address the issues on a whole and as an organization. On a personal level there are fishermen that do some pretty great stuff without being asked or prodded...but as an organization it is pathetic.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
"you guys" do you always paint w/ such a broad brush?
Did you ever stop to think that maybe we do not need to have an article written, or a picture taken, every time we donate our time, or resources? I personally have been involved with take a kid fishing programs, and there was a take a Iraq veterans fishing contest also. Those a just two of many things that the guys do for free, with really no big "atta boys" coming their way. Just because you may not be aware of these things happening does not invalidate them. Many of the walleye Pros do participate in community charity events. Some of us feel that charity is something that one does without reaping any benefits.

Pulling weeds? Not a big problem up here in God's country. I am really not trying to poke the bear as you call yourself, just kind of tired of your derogatory undertones in a few of your posts.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVLAR View Post
Did you ever stop to think that maybe we do not need to have an article written, or a picture taken, every time we donate our time, or resources? I personally have been involved with take a kid fishing programs, and there was a take a
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVLAR View Post
Iraq veterans fishing contest also. Those a just two of many things that the guys do for free, with really no big "atta boys" coming their way. Just because you may not be aware of these things happening does not invalidate them. Many of the walleye Pros do participate in community charity events. Some of us feel that charity is something that one does without reaping any benefits.

Pulling weeds? Not a big problem up here in God's country. I am really not trying to poke the bear as you call yourself, just kind of tired of your derogatory undertones in a few of your posts.

I am not the bear I am referring to, but if you want I will poke it for you.

I just stated that individual fishermen do some great thing on their own...but on an organizational level it is greatly lacking. If people are happy with the good they are doing that is great. But you cannot turn around on an organizational level and say the same type of commitment is not needed to promote the overall sport. The individual fisherman does not need the attention...the complete organization does. In a case like this, if you feel that getting the charity work that is done front and center is taboo and should be done behind closed doors...you already lost.

Competitive walleye fishing needs help badly, what would help...media attention, what gets media attention...works of the organization out in the public. Getting a news organization to cover a bunch of fishermen out on the water competing for money will rarely happen. Having an organization out doing charity work will get coverage most every time.

If one feels my comments have a derogatory undertone then I'm fine with that. What I enjoy doing is not in jeopardy, but the competitive fishing side is. It's in a mine shaft and the canary is almost dead. You're too busy looking for gold and ignoring the warning signs to come up for fresh air.

I tell it as I see it. I don't fluff things and I don't ignore things. What I do will not be affected if the competitive walleye fishing falls apart, I don't want to see that happen but if the ones directly involved are incapable of making the correct adjustments, or just don't want to have a few toes stepped on, then it will slowly be crushed by a weight that is not even there.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Default We need an "organized" grass roots...

We need an "organized" grass roots affiliation for the fisherman. I happen to know that GiddyGills is both right and wrong, He is right that the perception is probable that walleye fishermen don't have a presence in the public eye. But, he is wrong that it is from a low participation level.

Lots of individuals and local clubs do "good things". But,without some formal affiliation for local clubs there will never be the recognition that the bass guys get. My former bass club won national recognition for our youth program, a program that is less than the youth program my walleyec club operates on a yearly basis. But, without that national recognition my walleye club will never get the "press" that the bass club got.

Somewhere, somehow, a national affiliation program is needed. I wish that the FLW would step up are replicate the TBF for walleyes. Not the time now, I am sure, but then again it might just be the time to shore up the walleye side.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Wallhanger

""""""""
Lots of individuals and local clubs do "good things". But,without some formal affiliation for local clubs there will never be the recognition that the bass guys get. My former bass club won national recognition for our youth program, a program that is less than the youth program my walleyec club operates on a yearly basis. But, without that national recognition my walleye club will never get the "press" that the bass club got.

Somewhere, somehow, a national affiliation program is needed. I wish that the FLW would step up are replicate the TBF for walleyes. Not the time now, I am sure, but then again it might just be the time to shore up the walleye side.
""""""""""""

Bingo!!!!!

Spend some time visiting the local fishing clubs web site, I did and there are many who have youth/vets/whatever programs going on, can't get Kudo's if nobody knows your doing it....imho

There's a old saying of "together we stand, dividied we fall", a unitied front that can approch possible sponsors and explain that there are very good reasons they should stick their advertising dollars into walleye fishing and tournaments.

I can't say for fishing, but obtaining sponorships when I was drag racing was more than just saying we deserve/need it, you had to convice the possible sponsor you could make them money...that's what's it all about bottom line...money...imho

Al
Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Just So

Default TBF Not FLW

HG Meyer and others,

The TBF (The Bass Federation INC.) is affiliated with the FLW, but is not part of the FLW nor was it created or owned in any way by the FLW.

It is the orignal bass federation group that splinteered away from BASS. BASS then created its own Federation Nation. The TBF is an independent organization.

In fact, to create positive grassroots change the groups need to be independent of the tournament companies and yet work with them, such as TBF.

tournament walleye fishing has no such group. certainly not the NPAA, just in case any of you were going to toss that out there.