Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Night vision? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

Default Night vision?

I'm looking at night vision. I'm ex military and a technophile so I am familiar with the technology. But I have no comparison experiance. I'm interested to know if the Gen 1 or Gen 2 are perfectly acceptable since they use an illuminater. I'm not plannning on flying a helicopter.

I am actually planning on using them for varmint hunting. So another question would be rifle scope or binoc? I could scan with binoc then hit them with the spotlight (red lens) when they get close, or scan and shoot with the rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Mike,
You use the words "varmint hunting".

I have no idea of the area that you plan to hunt but please be aware of local game laws in the area you are going to hunt.

Many areas forbid the possesion of a fire arm after dark due to the chance that it could be used for Game Animals out of season.

-----------------------
Notice the following words from the MN state fish and game law book:

night Vision eQuiPment
A person may not possess any kind of night vision equipment while
taking wild animals or while possessing a irearm, bow, or other implement
that could be used to take wild animals.
his regulation does not apply to 1) a irearm that is unloaded, cased, and
in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or 2) a bow that is cased or unstrung,
and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle. if the motor vehicle does not
have a trunk, the irearm or bow must be placed in the rearmost location of
the vehicle.
enFoRcement
• DNR conservation oicers and other peace oicers may arrest, without
a warrant, any person detected in the actual violation of wildlife, ish, or
water laws and may enter any lands to carry out these duties.
• No person may hinder, resist, or obstruct an enforcement oicer or

authorized DNR agent in the performance of oicial duties.

• A person must allow inspection in the ield of irearms, licenses, wild
animals, motor vehicles, boats, or other conveyances used while taking
or transporting wild animals.
• Wild animals that are unlawfully taken, bought, sold or possessed
may be seized and coniscated.he person may be liable for wildlife
restitution in addition to criminal ines. Personal property such as
irearms, traps and archery equipment that were unlawfully used
may*be*seized and coniscated.

------------------------------
I realize that you are using the words - "varmint hunting". But a game warden may view your activities in a different light. Just be safe and legal.

Good luck

Last edited by REW; 03-07-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

I don't think the DNR likes night vision, but they are ok with night varmit hunting with a spot light or flash light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Sure they do along with thermo night vision.
That's a sure bet means of catching them poachers
But in many ways an unfair means of taking wildlife by the hunter and I would not use it even if legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
I don't think the DNR likes night vision, but they are ok with night varmit hunting with a spot light or flash light.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Keeper

Better tell all the coon hunters in wisconsin, hunting at night is a no no
Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

If that was directed to me, I by no means am against night hunting.
I also pay my fair share of WI property tax and have the liberties to hunt certain small game nearly all year long being a landowner. I simply feel the sport can be lost with all this technology being used.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Wallhanger

hunting laws vary greatly from state to state. From someone who's done a whole lot of night hunting over the years, even if night vision tech is legal in your area, you'd be better served with quality lights IMO. The most valuable advantage of a light is that its glare keeps the critters from seeing you behind it. With night vision tech, that puts you on even terms with their eyes. You need all the advantages you can get.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Wallhanger

I knew I would get these responses. Okay, I'm from Montana. The wild west. We can shoot any none game critters at night, that includes rabbits, fox, coyotes, skunks and coons. No game animals, no fur bearers. We can even use a suppressor.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Wallhanger

I sell night vision and thermal imaging to some police agencies so I know a little about them, granted not much but at least I can talk like I know a lot IMHO a thermal imager is much more useful for night hunting that NV because even with NV it can be hard to see a coyote in the brush. But with thermal there is no hiding period! I would think that a binocular, actually monoculars are MUCH cheaper and work just as good, would be better than a scope as you can scan with it and then hit them with your weapons mounted light. You may want to go with a green WML as the green light does not spook game.

To get something decent be prepared to spend some serious cash. The $1500 FLIR you see at the sporting goods store are basically toys, they are not serious tools. For a monocular plan on spending $3K+ and for a weapons mounted thermal imager figure on $10K at least.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Slot Fish

Default giveing good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigstop View Post
I sell night vision and thermal imaging to some police agencies so I know a little about them, granted not much but at least I can talk like I know a lot IMHO a thermal imager is much more useful for night hunting that NV because even with NV it can be hard to see a coyote in the brush. But with thermal there is no hiding period! I would think that a binocular, actually monoculars are MUCH cheaper and work just as good, would be better than a scope as you can scan with it and then hit them with your weapons mounted light. You may want to go with a green WML as the green light does not spook game.

To get something decent be prepared to spend some serious cash. The $1500 FLIR you see at the sporting goods store are basically toys, they are not serious tools. For a monocular plan on spending $3K+ and for a weapons mounted thermal imager figure on $10K at least.
always someone that has an answer on here, I like that. kman