Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Acadia towing 620VS - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Wallhanger

Acadia plus 620 = disaster in the making in my book. Safety issue is no. 1 because I think it's overload on that vehicle despite it's tow rating and I think you'll burn up your transmission is no. 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

I assume that the trailer has brakes and the Acadia has 4WD or AWD, otherwise I think it would be unwise.

If the vehicle is on a short term 3 yr lease, then I wouldn't be so excited about mechanical problems, especially under warranty. If I were keeping the vehicle long term, say 10 years, then I would be concerned with any significant amount of towing at or near sometimes exaggerated advertised capacities, especially with Acadia/Traverse reliability issues (black marks) showing up in Consumer Reports. Basic and even extended warranties don't cover everything.

My opinion is that a significant amount of towing close to capacity is a recipe for disaster in terms of mechanical breakdowns, suspension, and brakes. While there are many boats that you can pull with a V6 SUV, I'm siding with the guys that suggest the 620 at 3500# to 4000# loaded up should pulled with a V8 vehicle with or without a frame.

I pull a 2300# boat package with a 2011 Honda Pilot 4WD with a towing capacity of 4500#. I feel comfortable pulling this weight, but wouldn't go much past 50% capacity on any SUV from my experience and others. I feel that my towing will not impact the service life of my SUV.

I'm not interested in opinions on my post, so please focus on the subject.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Minnow

I have an Acadia. I wouldn't even pull an ATV behind that thing. What a POS tranny. It can't make up it's mind what gear it wants to be in not towing anything. I brought it back to the dealer, and they told me that is what happens when they put a car tranny in a bigger vehicle trying to get better MPG. A friend has pulled a 17' Alumacraft 200 miles roundtrip 4 times with his, at 90k miles, tranny went out. But that's just my opinion. Good luck with decision.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catch1 View Post
Really if you can afford a Ranger 620 you should have a descent 3/4 ton tow vehicle or get a smaller boat.
Can easily be done with a 1/2 ton truck, especially the newer ones, but still no way I'd do it with an Acadia.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Wallhanger

Buck you're right but the tow vehicle should costs about the same as the boat!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Ranger View Post
I have an Acadia. I wouldn't even pull an ATV behind that thing. What a POS tranny. It can't make up it's mind what gear it wants to be in not towing anything. I brought it back to the dealer, and they told me that is what happens when they put a car tranny in a bigger vehicle trying to get better MPG. A friend has pulled a 17' Alumacraft 200 miles roundtrip 4 times with his, at 90k miles, tranny went out. But that's just my opinion. Good luck with decision.
Maybe I'm wrong - but is not this the same as the Chevy Traverse (and the Buick variant, just a different body style.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catch1 View Post
Buck you're right but the tow vehicle should costs about the same as the boat!!!!
Pretty scary....mine are pretty close to the same. I don't even want to think about that.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Wallhanger

Default Towing

Hello....I own a 620 with a 250 and a 15 kicker as well as all the other stuff. I tow mine with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3 litre diesel and other than putting some timbrens in the rear to stop the sag you would not know it was even behind you. I towed it back from Minnesota to. Kingston ont ( about 1000 miles) and averaged 16 mpg . Never had and issues with the braking either (yes the trailer has brakes) however i did slide down a stone covered ramp for about 5 feet but that can happen to any size vehicle.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Wallhanger

didn't read this whole thing. Everyone tells him he needs a bigger tow vehicle. How about just getting a smaller/lighter boat?

That's my goal, get my toys small enough where i can tow with a small crossover. I don't like to put fuel in the truck, and a third vehicle that is only used for towing holds up alot of cash.

Last edited by Steven Pederson; 03-15-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

That's what I did. Smaller, lighter boat = more fishing on local lakes and easier on the tow vehicles and cheaper to do it.