Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling batteries - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

Default Trolling batteries

How long can I expect to get out of two interstate or walmart brand deep cycle batteries. Say I use them 80-100 hours a summer. Which brand should I go with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Keeper

Default I use cheapos

I buy Wal-Mart cheapos and haven't had any problems. I run a Terrova 80 on a 17.5' aluminum boat. I can pull spinners at 1.2 mph for about (4) 8 hour days on a single charge, or cranks at 1.7-2 for (2) 8 hour days on a single charge. These numbers are based on either calm conditions or trolling with the wind. If I had to troll against a hard wind, these numbers would decrease significantly. I have used Wal-Mart cheapos for up to 5 years without failure (although I do not recommend this). It was advised to me by others on this site to change batts every 3 years and you shouldn't ever be at the landing with a dead battery. I don't know what kind of rig and trolling motor you're running, but I troll WAY more than 100 hours per year (sometimes 100 hrs per month) and haven't had any issues with my Wal-Mart cheapos. ....just my opinion ...forgot to mention, I buy the largest ones (group size 29)

Last edited by nitecrawler128; 02-23-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added text
Old 02-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Wallhanger

Too many variables to predict that. How large are the batteries? Group 27 Group 31? How large is your trolling motor, How many Lbs thrust,how much current does it draw,is it an autopilot powerdrive etc etc ?? How do you use it. Boat control? Or continuous on trolling.

Another variable,maybe one of the biggest, is how well you care for them.
Though every battery has a finite number of discharge cycles available,You will get longer life (more years of service )from them if you resist drawing them all the way down to zero charge. Also do not leave them sit for any length of time in a discharged ,or even partially discharged condition. Recharge ASAP after use.

If a wet cell, check and keep the water level to spec. Do not overcharge them. A "smart" charger will likely keep that from happening, but in addition,even better would be smart charger of only about 6-10 amps,as opposed to 20 amps or higher. Takes longer,but produces less heat,and less likely to boil them out.

As far as brands,overall in my own experience is that Interstate has been the best brand I have owned. I have made others last pretty long with good care,but I have never actually replaced an Interstate for any reason other than thinking ..."I am way beyond trying squeezing ANOTHER season out of it,I should replace it." I have never actually replaced one because it failed. I am talking getting 7-8 seasons ! (Results not typical, your results may vary)

Have not owned a Wal-Mart brand,I do not know who makes them. But if they are reasonably priced and significantly less money than others, may not be a bad purchase. Care for them correctly, you should get decent service out of them. Batteries have manufacture date codes on them, make sure you buy fresh,make sure not been sitting on the shelf a long time. If from a high volume retailer, should be no problem getting some that are no older than 2-3 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Keeper

"I don't know what kind of rig and trolling motor you're running, but I troll WAY more than 100 hours per year (sometimes 100 hrs per month) and haven't had any issues with my Wal-Mart cheapos. ....just my opinion ...forgot to mention, I buy the largest ones (group size 29) "

.........X2.......I also do A LOT of trolling. And at now (I think) $80/ea.....I get about 3-4 yrs out of pair of group 29s. I also agree with the charge routine. I will run mine down to 50% and recharge with generator if camped. Last set I had lasted 3 yrs, but I was lazy with the maintenance. Current set are monitored closely and now at the 2yr mark, with none.... to very little degradation since new.

I was hesitant to purchase the Walli world brand initially, but the difference in price for name brand batteries just didn't make sense to me. Really, the only way you are going to answer the question is to run your own comparison.....LOL.....and hopefully that will take you at least 10 yrs to complete!!

For certain match the batch (dates) and if possible get them to do a load test prior to purchase. This will also identify a weak cell that inherently happens, occasionally.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye571 View Post
How long can I expect to get out of two interstate or walmart brand deep cycle batteries. Say I use them 80-100 hours a summer. Which brand should I go with?
Nothing wrong with Wal-Mart Chepos. Get the biggest you can fit in there. Group 29 or 31.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6143.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	521.0 KB
ID:	13894  
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Wallhanger

can't vouch for the walmart batteries, but I love the Interstate batteries. When I need to replace batteries that aren't Interstate, they are when I'm done.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Wallhanger

The charger that is used on the batteries can make a huge difference. Since I have gone to a Dual Pro charger my current el cheapo Farm And Fleet batteries are going on there 7th year ( I am getting Leary so they will be replaced this year ). Before the Dual Pro if my batteries lasted 4 years I was lucky usually at three years I was replacing them. Waiting for the spring battery sales to start, not sure what brand I will be getting .
Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
Nothing wrong with Wal-Mart Chepos. Get the biggest you can fit in there. Group 29 or 31.

Wade,

Those srm29's you got? Been looking to replace the weak 24's that came with my boat and if I'm interrpreting #'s correctly thr interstate 29's have a higher capacity than a lot of 31's.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Minnow

Definitely go with the biggest that you can fit, typically going to be a group size 31 (or a 29 as Johnson Controls calls it).

As for Walmart or Interstate, either one will do for you and most likely are the same guts inside as Johnson Controls makes both batteries. Decent chance that the Walmart or Interstate will be made in Mexico. I prefer to buy American so I look at East Penn, US battery or Trojan made batteries for the Made in USA label.

Biggest determining factor in the life of your battery is how well you take care of your battery. Properly maintain your battery and you'll get good life out of it. Abuse any battery and you'll get very poor results.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Wade,

Those srm29's you got? Been looking to replace the weak 24's that came with my boat and if I'm interrpreting #'s correctly thr interstate 29's have a higher capacity than a lot of 31's.
Yes, Group 29's. I wanted the best battery with the highest capacity. I depend on my trolling motor a lot.