Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kansas Walleye? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Clinton hot

I fished Clinton Saturday and Sunday. Everybody I talked to on the water said they'd been killing the 'eyes over the last 3 or 4 days. I caught 12 on Saturday fishing alone. Most of them were in 16-23' of water pulling slow death rigs on bouncers. The amazing thing to me was that walleyes and saugers were all I caught. I took my daughter out with me today. We caught 6 eyes/saugers, 2 wipers, 4 crappie, a channel cat and a drum in 3 hours. All of them in the exact same area as Saturday. I'm really finding the Gulp 3" Fry on a slow death rig to be a great setup. The best part about the Gulp is that I rarely have to change the bait. I might have used six total for two days. In fact today I never changed baits. I used the same Gulp on each line all day catching at least four fish on each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Slot Fish

Im thinking about heading to Hillsdale Lake, KS this wednesday for walleye. Can any one direct me to the mud flats or anywhere they think would be a good place to start.

Thanks,
Old 06-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I fished Clinton Saturday and Sunday. Everybody I talked to on the water said they'd been killing the 'eyes over the last 3 or 4 days. I caught 12 on Saturday fishing alone. Most of them were in 16-23' of water pulling slow death rigs on bouncers. The amazing thing to me was that walleyes and saugers were all I caught. I took my daughter out with me today. We caught 6 eyes/saugers, 2 wipers, 4 crappie, a channel cat and a drum in 3 hours. All of them in the exact same area as Saturday. I'm really finding the Gulp 3" Fry on a slow death rig to be a great setup. The best part about the Gulp is that I rarely have to change the bait. I might have used six total for two days. In fact today I never changed baits. I used the same Gulp on each line all day catching at least four fish on each.
Ive never fished Clinton, any suggestion on where to start? Thinking about getting out there this week.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson2925 View Post
Ive never fished Clinton, any suggestion on where to start? Thinking about getting out there this week.

Thanks,
Most of the boats are fishing off the shallow flats in front of the island just off the main lake dividing point where the big beach is. There are also some boats off the flat just east of the marina at the north end of the dam. Not sure how well they fared though as I never fished it. I talked to a guy Sunday who said he caught a lot in 8' of water.

As for Hilsdale, I haven't fished it for walleyes that much, but I think the most popular flats area is off the big rounded point in the middle of the lake.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Im thinking about heading to Hillsdale Lake, KS this wednesday for walleye. Can any one direct me to the mud flats or anywhere they think would be a good place to start.

Thanks,
Remember that Hilsdale has an 18" minimum, Clinton is 15".

Last edited by Winnie; 06-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Most of the boats are fishing off the shallow flats in front of the island just off the main lake dividing point where the big beach is. There are also some boats off the flat just east of the marina at the north end of the dam. Not sure how well they fared though as I never fished it. I talked to a guy Sunday who said he caught a lot in 8' of water.

As for Hilsdale, I haven't fished it for walleyes that much, but I think the most popular flats area is off the big rounded point in the middle of the lake.
Thanks for the info, I may have to try clinton, thats interesting that the lenght limits are different at each lake. Seems like 18 is the typical but I guess eldorado and cheney are 21.

I dont typically keep anything anyway.

So you used bottom bouncer and gulp. Anyone catching anything trolling cranks or vertical jigging? Crawlers, Minnows?

Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I may have to try clinton, thats interesting that the lenght limits are different at each lake. Seems like 18 is the typical but I guess eldorado and cheney are 21.

I dont typically keep anything anyway.

So you used bottom bouncer and gulp. Anyone catching anything trolling cranks or vertical jigging? Crawlers, Minnows?

Thanks again for the info.
Seems like a lot of the guys out there were just dragging 1/4oz jigs with a couple crawlers on them. I caught one walleye, two wipers, and two crappie pulling a flicker shad 7 about 10' down. I did watch a boat of three hone in on one spot holding a bunch of walleyes, hoover and toss jigs with what looked like minnows or gulp minnows, not positive though.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Minnow

Any new reports out there?

I finally got out on Cheney last weekend and caught a bunch of shorts, with some white perch and drum, and a bonus 20" wiper on a spinner rig and night crawler. That 21" limit is tough!

Going to Milford next weekend. Any pointers? Wipers or walleye.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Slot Fish

Any Walleye being caught lately in KS lakes? Went out to a small lake yesterday afternoon and the bite was on the mud flat in 8-12 ft on crawlers and a gold jig. Water temp was almost 90 and the air was over 100 but they were biting great! 25 fish 15"+ between 3 - 6 pm.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Minnow

I'm heading out to El Dorado 1st thing in the AM tomorrow. Supposedly they're still on out there. I never trust the KDWP reports, but I've been checking this guys reports out every once in awhile...http://www.hookemguide.com/Blog.html
Oh, if anyone needs lake maps for KS check this out...greatplainsmapping.com. Jack Baker has been doing this for a long long time. He sells chips for Lowrance and Garmin. Unfortunately I run Hummingbird right now. I guess he's mapped 46 lakes in KS.