Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Installing a Kicker - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Minnow

Default Installing a Kicker

I have a Skeeter WX series boat and just bought a new to me T-8 for it. I was told by a local dealer that they sometimes use Lag boats to hang a kicker since Skeeter is a composit hull. The upper motor mount holes are very tight to a lip in the hull and it would be almost impossible to line up the holes so a bolt will work. I'm a little nervous to sink a lag bolt into the hull. Anyone ever do this?? I'm a bit worried that the lag would work it's way loose? Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Minnow

Anyone????
Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I've always thought mine was mounted with bolts but now that you mention how tight it is to the top im thinking they are lags?????

You got me wondrin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut n strut View Post
I have a Skeeter WX series boat and just bought a new to me T-8 for it. I was told by a local dealer that they sometimes use Lag boats to hang a kicker since Skeeter is a composit hull. The upper motor mount holes are very tight to a lip in the hull and it would be almost impossible to line up the holes so a bolt will work. I'm a little nervous to sink a lag bolt into the hull. Anyone ever do this?? I'm a bit worried that the lag would work it's way loose? Any opinions?
What year and model Skeeter? Seems a lil odd they would lag bolt, but im not sure.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Minnow

It is an 08 WX1880. I asked a second Skeeter Dealer and was told that they never bolt a kicker onto a hull. That seemed odd to me as well. I started my install tonight. I was able to drill so I could get a bolt through the hull. I should be set.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Slot Fish

rut n strut--

On the top holes of my Panter kicker mount I was able to use SS 1/2" thru bolts. On the bottom two I had to use SS 1/2" lag bolts. Obviously I mounted the two top holes first and I could hang on the bracket without any movement. I weight 285???Ughh,, Anyway just to secure things I ran the two lag bolts with LOTS of Silicone just for piece of mind and security. After speaking to my dealer and two others, that was the only way that his could be done on the Lund Tyee 186 GL. Spoke with others who have done the same without issues. Dont worry about it and just make sure that when you drill the hole for the lags that it is a little smaller than the bolt itself so it has something to grab to.

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Lag bolts? never. I'd be more worried about them pulling out in a bad situation.

Highly recommend stainless steel bolts through the transom.

My older Skeeter I have never bolted the kicker to the hull.

A friend's WX2100 has SS bolts through the entire transom to fasten the kicker. I know this because I found one broken bolt that held the kicker. There's plenty of room on the 2100 to bolt to the transom.

rutnstrut- can you access the area under the splash well to fasten? The main motor bolts are in that area. Just curious.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Minnow

I just installed a panther static plate to my boat. Let me tell you its a PITA! I was able to drill through the top holes and put bolts through the transom. I also bolted the motor through the static plate and hull using the holes on the top of the Mercury pro kicker hosing by drilling through the plate and hull. I was able to get 2 bolts through the lower holes on the pather mount but it was not fun let me tell you. This was on a Stratos 386. The motor is not going anywhere. Also, installed Trollmaster and steering rod. Last, put a t in the fuel line instead of adding a 2nd pickup tube in the tank.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Keeper

I would definately try to get the bolts through the hull. My fear maybe wouldn't be the bolts pulling out, but eventually they will rattle and vibrate and you could crack the gelcoat out so you would see it.