Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How long does fishing line last? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-10-2003, 05:44 PM
MK

Default How long does fishing line last?

Over the past few years, I've ended up with enough line of various weights to fill about 20 reels. Its been kept in a dark cabinet in the garage and the ages range from about 1-5 years old.

Any opinions on if this line is still good or should it be tossed? Its mostly Stren XL or XT, 6-17 lb. test. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Slot Fish

Default RE: How long does fishing line last?

MK,
My advice would be to toss anything more then a year old. Monofilament weakens with age and becomes brittle. Just my opinion.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Keeper

I would still use it, maybe not on a "once in a lifetime" fishing trip, but I would for normal fishing situations. I've respooled with Stren that was older than that and never had any problems. However I'd say the real gauge you should use is "what is your confidence in it" and "how bad are you going to hate yourself if it breaks with a big fish on?"

IaCraig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2003, 06:50 AM
Keeper

Check the line, you an tell if it is getting brittle.Don't buy that old throw it away if it is more than a year old wife's tail (I think the manf. started this one :-). Line gets stored for longer periods than that before it is sold!!!! If it is showing signs of being brittle, toss it. I have used line that was kept in cool and dark places for 4 or 5 years with no problems. I have one spool of very old 10# line that I have used for 10 years to make leaders and I have had zero problems. I test it on a scale every year and it is as strong and smooth as it was 10 years ago. I'm going to see how long it will go :-)
Old 04-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Wallhanger

This Dan agrees with the other Dan. Use all the suggested manufacturing suggestions or written theories you want. But if the line is weak toss it, if not keep it. Any line will be at it's weakest when dry and still on the spool. Wrap a length around a door nob, walk back 20 feet and put her under some stress. If it has low stretch and breaks under the stresses you think are lighter than it's listed breaking strength, give her the boot. I've seldom seen line that varies either weaker or stronger by very much throughout the entire length of the spool. So if that first 20 feet is good enough, I'd trust the whole spool to test out the same. My .02c.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:51 AM
MK

Thanks for the input. Now that I think of it, the brand is probably Trilene XT/XL, but hopefully that wont matter.

I think I'll take your suggestions and try it out. I'm thinking I'll hook it to a doorknob and the other end to my digital fish scale and pull to see where the breaking point is. If its at or above what the package says, I'll keep it. If its below I'm going to assume that its degraded and pitch it.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:06 AM
newby

Careful with the digital scale. A sudden release of, say 10lbs, could break it when it springs back. Trust me, I learned from experience. Just wanted to warn you.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:06 AM
kj

Think about it. Truck $$$$$$$$,Boat $$$$$$$,misc.tackle, gas to get there,lodging, bait,The cheapest thing between you and the maybe walleye trophy old line....not this fisherman. Spend the buck. kj
Old 04-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

I go through all my stored line every year or so.

I let about 5 feet of line come off the reel, and check it for the amount of stiffness in the coils.
I then, do a breakage test on the line.

If it hasn't gotten particularly coily, and if the breakage point is about what it was when new - I keep it.

If either of these variables are bad, I pitch it.

Also, if I have had bad luck with a particular piece of line - that was taken from a particular bulk spool, I will simply pitch the bulk spool, rather than chancing another problem.

I label my reel spools, so that I know which bulk spool I have taken the line from, unless, I have simply used a one or two spool filler, in which case, I simply date the lb and year of line fill.

I will sometimes fill a spare reel spool with a different lb test line than I normally use. Depending on the spool, this might stay in my storage bag for a year or more. I do the same test on these spools, as my bulk spools.

These spools tend to get eliminated more quickly than the bulk spools, simply because the smaller diameter of the spools, and the tightness of the wrap tend to shorten the useful life of the line.

That is why, I generally only fill spools that I know that I am going to be using for a particular trip - or at least for the season.
I would rather leave the line on the bulk spool, and then fill it at the time that I need it - rather than storing the line on the small reel spools. I generally take a small box of a half dozen bulk spools of line with me on trips - so if required I can quickly respool a reel spool if the need arises, or if different lb line is required on a particular spool - for which I don't have a spare.

Take care
REW

Old 04-14-2003, 05:53 PM
hawg

sun rots line, not time, in most cases. if its not rotten use it.