Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Devils Lake ND - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 01-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Wallhanger

rzep, Please report when you get back as I'm sure I'm not the only 1 heading out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Minnow

Default Devils Lake

Just heard a guide on a local radio program say there are many pressure ridges that have opened up through out the lake. Some up to 3 ft. Says it`s very dangerous and to check with local bait shops for access and conditions.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Keeper

Default I hear tell

South Dakota has some great perch lakes

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllocalguy View Post
Fishing for eyes is good, but the easy perch bite of last year is over. You'll notice the resorts and articles are all based on "last" year. The bite's been tough. Most guides are going to Stump since there's a lot of small fish there with a few larger ones mixed in and at least then the guides customers are catching some.

If you're coming to Devils Lake based on last years shows or pictures you could be disappointed. There's still some good perch fishing, but it's really sporadic and nothing at all like last year.

Walleye fishing on the other hand has been really good with a lot of nicer sized fish coming in this year. You will need to move around a bit and get away from the beat up spots though if you want the nicer sized fish.
Good advice from dllocalguy. Add too that an incredible hatch of freshwater shrimp and young of the year perch providing abundant forage. Fat, well fed fish are not hungry, aggressive biters. When they do feed, it is usually for short intense periods and you better be sitting on top of them when that happens. Thinking you can just go out, drill a couple of holes and empty the lake won't cut it.

Last edited by HARSH; 01-13-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Wallhanger

Perch Patrol posted new report over the weekend. Sounds like weather was really rough ...they hoping warm up will change things ..check their website ..
Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Wallhanger

Based on the photos that I saw last year and the massive harvest, I'd be surprised to hear that there were any perch left in that lake!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 01-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Wallhanger

Got back early morning today .....

Saturday was really bad. gust winds around 40 mph..we went on ice just to turn around. I am glad guides made the call to scrap the day as I know my wife would be miserable (ok ... me too)... Sunday was turn around weather wise.. calm day and sunny...in 20s ...again this was our first time ice fishing so we had to get used to vexilars, little rods, and soft bites.. at the end of the day we were in mid teens and combined with what the guide caught , we were in middle twenties and couple eyes. We were in shack.. guide was fishing out of the truck and moving around..I think we (shack) only moved once or twice ...

Since it was fun....decided to do half day on Mon and leave in early afternoon.... weather was similar i.e. calm and in 20s but no sun and somewhat foggy. Bite was slower and we did not mark as many fish...I got skuned !!! while wife pulled couple perches (one under 13 inches) and one eye.. just over 18... Guide probably got around 10 perch in those ~4 hours, mostly around 10 inches.. and one which he ended up keeping to mount - over 2lbs and 14 inches .... I guess 2lbs+ perch is big thing as this was his first one....

In summary we had fun ... wife was saying we were pulling "footballs" from the ice hole ...plus she will not let me
forget getting skuned on Mon for a while ...

Few pics from Sun ...

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/rzep...2015%20January

Last edited by rzep; 01-20-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Wallhanger

Go figure, nice the last 2 weeks and when we get there, there will be a dog gone cold front moving in, Oh well we gotta catch something besides a cold.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Wallhanger

Amtrak is back in full service. The grade upgrades are done.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:33 AM
Wallhanger

GREAT........ Now have to drive through a snow storm,leaving in a couple hrs. will post when we get back.