Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Yamaha 115 4-stroke Won't Start Unless... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 09-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha 115 4-stroke Won't Start Unless...

I have a frustrating problem with 2002 115 Yamaha 4-stroke when I try to start it. Most of the time, I turn the key on, the fuel pump works but when you turn the key the rest of the way, it acts as if there is no power connected. The crazy part is: if I tilt the motor up and down, sometimes it will start. If it doesn't start then, I run my T-8 for a short distance and then the 115 will start. I have done what some of you have suggested here and I'm sure it is not the battery or the connections. I thought it was the neutral switch but now I don't think so. Why will the 115 start after running the T-8 for a short distance without touching anything else but the key? Could it be the ignition switch?
By the way the cables on my T-8 are now so hard you have to use two hands to move it. Could that be the problem with the 115 also, maybe the cable not adjusted properly? Dealer thinks I'm nuts. He said it has to be a bad connection. HELP!!!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Keeper

Default RE: Yamaha 115 4-stroke Won't Start Unless...

>Most of the time, I turn the key on,
>the fuel pump works but when you turn the key the rest of the
>way, it acts as if there is no power connected.

Does this mean the starter motor does not turn over? Or does it mean it just won't fire and start? If the starter motor does not turn over then it has to be an electrical problem, possibly in your ignition switch. If the starter spins but the motor won't start, you might have a fuel delivery problem. Do you have your T8 and your 115 supplied by one tank or two different tanks? Give us a little more info and maybe someone can put you on the right track.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Keeper

>Most of the time, I turn the key on,
>the fuel pump works but when you turn the key the rest of the
>way, it acts as if there is no power connected.

Does this mean the starter motor does not turn over? Or does it mean it just won't fire and start? If the starter motor does not turn over then it has to be an electrical problem, possibly in your ignition switch. If the starter spins but the motor won't start, you might have a fuel delivery problem. Do you have your T8 and your 115 supplied by one tank or two different tanks? Give us a little more info and maybe someone can put you on the right track.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Engine Rigger

I would start with the neutral safety switch. For some reason, there have been a rash of those that have been bad this year.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Unlogged T-Mac

Ditto ...rigger.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

fishn4fun:
The motor won't turn over at all, like no battery is connected.

engine rigger:
I tried to get at the back of the throttle controls to replace the neutral switch but they were rigged at the factory which makes it very difficult to get to. They are mounted to a big vinyl covered piece and the cables go through the side of the boat to the back of the vinyl covered piece. You would have to completely disassemble both throttle controls to get at the back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.