Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
e-tec 225 oil and gas consumption - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 08-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Keeper

Default e-tec 225 oil and gas consumption

Just ran the couple tanks of gas (55 gals) through my 225HO and it appears as if I'm buring one tank of oil (2? gals - Ranger 621) for every tank of gas. I'm not exactly positive on the size of the oil tank - I didn't think to take note of how much I was putting in when I filled it (I didn't do it all at once etc.)

This is my first outboard so i don't have a basis for comparison - does this seem like a normal oil consumption rate? Does this engine burn more oil initially - a computer controlled break-in maybe?

On a related note - according to my calculations, I'm getting about 3.1 mpg. This isn't exact as the kicker also pulls from the same tank and I've run that a little, but it would seem to be about right as I think this motor was averaging about 4.0 on the much lighter Bullet hull in the B&W test a while back. What are others getting for fuel economy with this engine?

Thanks,
Boneman

P.S. Obviously long-term reliability will be key, but my first impressions of this motor are very positive - it starts like a champ, goes into gear silky smooth, is super quiet and has tons of power - so far 2 thumbs up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: e-tec 225 oil and gas consumption

What rpm is the motor propped at? IF you run above the recommended 5800 rpm, the E-TEC will use large amounts of oil and fuel. That is programmed into the computer.

Also have your tach checked for accuracy.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Juls_OH

Boneman,
If your motor is new, it's going to guzzle oil for the first 10 hours, and the amount will decrease until around 20 hours. After that, you will be very surprised by how little oil it uses per tank of gas.

Juls
Old 08-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Keeper

Your oil consumption sounds about right for the break-in period. The ratio you describe is 25:1. It will drop to 50:1 once break-in is complete. These numbers are typical High Pressure Direct Injection numbers.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Keeper

that's what i was hoping - thanks. so i guess it is a 2 gal. tank then if my ratio is currently running about 25:1 . . . .

it sounds like though that it ultimately settles in at around 50:1? if this is the case and it's the same as other hpdi motors, what's the advantage of using the more expensive xd-100? i thought consumpiton was supposed to be quite a bit less with this synthetic stuff??
Old 08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Wallhanger

>that's what i was hoping - thanks. so i guess it is a 2 gal.
>tank then if my ratio is currently running about 25:1 . . . .
>
>
>it sounds like though that it ultimately settles in at around
>50:1? if this is the case and it's the same as other hpdi
>motors, what's the advantage of using the more expensive
>xd-100? i thought consumpiton was supposed to be quite a bit
>less with this synthetic stuff??

You most likely have the 1.8 gallon oil tank in your boat.

If you use the synthetic XD-100, you can have your dealer program the motor to cut the oil consumption in half. Most recreational boaters have averaged about 112:1 on the synthetic lube.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Keeper

yup - the dealer already programmed it for that - i just wanted to make sure the increased cost was going to result in lower oil consumption.

speaking of consumption - has anyone bothered to figure out what they're getting for fuel economy with their 225HO?

thanks,
boneman
Old 08-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Wallhanger

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Engine...ON+TR+21+X.htm
Old 08-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Keeper

that's interesting and in-line with the bullet test which makes sense given the similar weight of the two hulls. i was more interested in what types of mileage people were seeing on the multi-species hulls, which in the case of the 621 is almost 40% heavier . . .