Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
What kind of oil for 4 stroke Yamaha? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 10-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Hammertime1

Default What kind of oil for 4 stroke Yamaha?

Do you have to go with the expensive Yamaha oil, or can you go with another brand of marine grade oil, or regular automotive oil? What is unique about marine grade oil?

thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: What kind of oil for 4 stroke Yamaha?

I run Pennzoil 10-30 in both my F150 and T-8. There really isn't a reason to run the spendy yammi oil as any of the others meet and exceed the manufacturers recommendations. If you bring your motor in for service they're more than likely not putting yammi oil in. My dealer uses Trop Arctic(sp?)out of a 50 gal drum. The yammi, Merc, ect oil has an extra additive in it, not sure what that additive is but it's not worth the extra cost IMHO.

BIRDDOG
Old 10-26-2005, 07:17 AM
BIG RED

I have run Amsoil in my 225 Yamaha 4 stroke and T-8 kicker. I changed over when I had my 10hr. service done. Not 1 problem and I run up until ice-up.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

There is a difference between automotive lubricants and 4-stroke marine lubricants. The following is an extract from Amsoil's web site. "Marine engines operate under high loads and RPMs for extended periods of time, causing traditional automotive oils to break down and lose viscosity. To ensure good protection, the NMMA set minimum shear stability requirements for FC-W". The FC-W stands for Four Cycle-Water. This is not the same specification as your standard automotive lubricants.

You certainly don't have to use Yamaha's oil, but you should make sure that the product you select is rated for your 4-stroke marine application. If you don't, you increase your risk of problems and the likelyhood that Yamaha will deny your warranty claim.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:00 AM
John in Mn

Mobil-1.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:17 AM
MNHusker NLI

I use the 'expensive' Yammie oil. In my opinion, it is cheap insurance to have a recommended oil. Yammie cannot come back with any lame excuses if a problem arrises.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:21 AM
MarkG

I am lookin at a bottle of Yamaha outboard 4 stroke oil. I do not see
an FC-W marine rating on it. Only API-SJ
Old 10-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

MarkG

Check this out

FC-W™ Four-Stroke Oil Certification Program
With the widespread introduction of the four-stroke outboard engine technology, NMMA considered it necessary to develop a marine engine oil category specifically for marine four-stroke engines. With all of the major outboard engine manufacturers producing four-stroke outboards to further reduce emissions and increase fuel economy, the need for oil specifically designed for the unique marine environment became necessary.

Industry leaders in lubrication developed testing criteria for this marine four-stroke oil. These include bench tests for viscosity, corrosion, filter plugging, foaming and aeration. In addition, the oil must successfully pass a 100-hour general performance engine test.

Once these oils have been tested by a sanctioned test laboratory, NMMA will issue licenses for the oil's formulation and registers approved brands.

FC-W™ lubricants have demonstrated the necessary performance and quality needed need in today's high performance four-stroke engines. The next time you are purchasing four-stroke oil for your marine engine, look for the FC-W™ trademark.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Unlogged T-Mac

Your oil must be old.
All of the Yamaha 4-M bottles on my display rack have it on their labels.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Wallhanger

Just wondering what pressures and such an outboard sees that a race motor in a car doesn't?
Or is Amsoil rambling again...:)

Al