Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Minn Kota Vantage Trolling Motor - 24 or 36 Volt? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default Minn Kota Vantage Trolling Motor - 24 or 36 Volt?

Some background -

I'll be mounting it on a 2006 Lund 1900 Pro V SE. It's got a 24V 75# Motorguide Wireless on the front. I'm not a troller, I pull bouncers from time to time, and I like to crawl around with Lindy rigs, but I mostly use the electrics for boat control on our seemingly always windy lakes. I want the rear troller to be able to back into the wind and hover/slip structures, as well as for trolling on those occasions when it's needed.

I'm not interested in mounting a kicker, so I'm looking for the rear electric to cover off at least some of that area.

Given that, I've decided on the Minn Kota Vantage transom mount, my question now is, 24V 80# or 36V 101#?

The difference in cost between the motors themselves is minimal, but I'll have to add a battery, possibly upgrade my 3 bank charger to a 4 bank, and do the installation so the front 24V would still work. I'm not sure how to do this, whether my Lund is rigged for it, or if it's even possible.

I guess my question is, is the extra power from the 36V model worth going to all the hassle and expense? I'm definitely leaning toward the 24V model simply due to cost and ease of install.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default Minn Kota Vantage Trolling Motor - 24 or 36 Volt?

Some background -

I'll be mounting it on a 2006 Lund 1900 Pro V SE. It's got a 24V 75# Motorguide Wireless on the front. I'm not a troller, I pull bouncers from time to time, and I like to crawl around with Lindy rigs, but I mostly use the electrics for boat control on our seemingly always windy lakes. I want the rear troller to be able to back into the wind and hover/slip structures, as well as for trolling on those occasions when it's needed.

I'm not interested in mounting a kicker, so I'm looking for the rear electric to cover off at least some of that area.

Given that, I've decided on the Minn Kota Vantage transom mount, my question now is, 24V 80# or 36V 101#?

The difference in cost between the motors themselves is minimal, but I'll have to add a battery, possibly upgrade my 3 bank charger to a 4 bank, and do the installation so the front 24V would still work. I'm not sure how to do this, whether my Lund is rigged for it, or if it's even possible.

I guess my question is, is the extra power from the 36V model worth going to all the hassle and expense? I'm definitely leaning toward the 24V model simply due to cost and ease of install.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Waxy
Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Minn Kota Vantage Trolling Motor - 24 or 36 Volt?

Waxy,
from what I've read, the 36V systems seem to run a lot longer than 24V ones, so if you'd be using the Vantage all day long, go with the 36V version. When you add the 3rd TM battery, I'd re-rig the 3-bank charger just for them, and add a separate charger for the starting battery in the rear. You can certainly configure the wiring to give you 24V for the Motorguide, and 36V for the Vantage, it just depends on getting the wiring for the TM's run correctly. You may need to run new wiring to the rear, I do not know if Lunds wiring for both bow and transom are wired together, or are individual runs that terminate at the battery compartment.
HRG
Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Wallhanger

Waxy,
from what I've read, the 36V systems seem to run a lot longer than 24V ones, so if you'd be using the Vantage all day long, go with the 36V version. When you add the 3rd TM battery, I'd re-rig the 3-bank charger just for them, and add a separate charger for the starting battery in the rear. You can certainly configure the wiring to give you 24V for the Motorguide, and 36V for the Vantage, it just depends on getting the wiring for the TM's run correctly. You may need to run new wiring to the rear, I do not know if Lunds wiring for both bow and transom are wired together, or are individual runs that terminate at the battery compartment.
HRG
Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Waxy,
If you have access to power at the end of each day, there is really little reason to go with a 36 volt motor for the duration.

The 24 volt system will give adequate power for what you want to do, and you will have plenty of duration for a day of fishing.

Of course, if it is very windy, and if you run both motors at the same time - you will run the batteries down in about 3-4 hours.

Your choice.

REW
Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Keeper

I would recommend the 36 Volt system. I have this system, can use the Vantage all day long. I would also highly recommend the pro tournament 300 quad charger for you starting battery and 3 trolling batteries. go to the ProMariner site, lots of useful information on there.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:06 PM
that guy

Go with the 24v. I ran it on a 18.5' boat a weekend long never had a problem with the batteries going dead. I would only recomend the 36v on a 21 foot boat, but on yours it would be over kill.