Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Two Rods in Minnesota - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Fishing the Midwest with Bob Jensen > Award Winning FTM TV...with Bob Jensen

Old 12-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Two Rods in Minnesota

Minnesota is the only state in the Midwest that I know of that allows an angler to use just one rod in open water. There has been talk of changing that. I am for multiple lines per person in MN, how about you, and why.

Thanks for the response.

Bob Jensen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2002, 05:38 PM
Tom B

Default RE: Two Rods in Minnesota

No, no, no, no. Talking to the biologists, multiple lines would allow the freezer-fillers the ability to fill out much easier and with more frequency. If you talk to biologists from just about any state that allows multiple lines what one thing they would change, and it is almost universally eliminating the multi-line rule. It is also a rule that once enacted would be VERY difficult to eliminate.

The only reasons to allow more lines are to make it easier or more efficient for fisherfolks. Fishing is pretty darn good in Minnesota right now, I would just as soon not see anything done that could wreck that.

I do not know of any legitimate fishing group that supports multiple lines.

Tom B
Old 12-08-2002, 06:58 PM
Slot Fish

Have to agree with Tom B, A fish hog with 2 lines and a GPS --not good. Bob, any room on your staff for minnesota cooespondant etc, have all types of outdoor media experience-tv, radio, publishing, seminars, camp fish guide etc. joshandstacy@cloudnet.com --josh
Something is fishy around here.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

The St. Croix and Mississippi border rivers allow 2 rods. They don't seem to be fisheries in peril, not at all.

Most people would not use two lines anyway, as most would simply tangle making it not worth their effort. The ones who could fish with two lines properly are, IMHO, the ones who will catch enough fish anyway.

Say you have two guys in a boat. It is more fun to troll with 3 or 4 rods than two. Does it make me cach more fish? Heck, I don't know, but it allows me to possibly find proper depth and lure quicker.

I am not a freezer filler. My vote is for 2, but it will never happen. No biggie. I follow the law, whatever it is.

-Box

'97 Alumacraft TP175 w/ Merc 150efi - now an oldie but goodie...
'12 SouthBay 522F w/ Merc 60 Bigfoot 4S - fishing 'toon...
'82 Alumacraft Classic 16 w/ Merc Classic 50 - rehabbed ducker!
and a fleet of duck boats!
Old 12-09-2002, 09:21 AM
Wallhanger

I would like to see 2 rods allowed on waters with already tight regs. Pool 2 of the Miss, Upper Red, Mille Lacs, Winnie, Kabe/Crane/Namaken and other lakes with tight slots. A lot of smaller lakes are subject to over harvest during certain times of the year making the rest of the season almost worthless.

Old 12-09-2002, 10:07 AM
Wallhanger

I am all for 2 rods. I like to fish for Crappies and like the fast action of two rods. Also, when pulling cranks alone, it gives me a chance to determine what is working better. I am not a meat hog and still follow the regulations so I don't think it will affect the harvest for law-abiding fisherman. It just makes my little time that I get on the water more productive and enjoyable.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I'd be for 2 rods. I fish one week out of the year in Minnesota, for a full week. I really like the ability of fishing more than 1 line to see what, if anything, will get the fish biting.

The state sets limits for the number you can keep. What does it matter if you use one line or two to get a limit? May shorten my time on the water, but only if you get onto a pattern. If you get a pattern going, you may only use one line anyway.

I fish in South Dakota a lot, where 2 lines are legal. A lot of people don't fish two lines there, either. If you don't feel comfortable with 2 lines, then fish with 1.

Old 12-09-2002, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

The daily creel limit is the daily limit, so I can't see how 2 lines will effect legal harvest much.

If the DNR seriously thought it would, they wouldn't allow 2 lines on the ice I suspect.

There may be areas where 2 lines would limit access for anglers so 1 line may be the best rule in that instance. On average I do not see it as a concern, one or two lines the possession limit is the same.

Personally I see a all barbless stipulation to be a better method of conservation then limiting the lines allowed per angler.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson...><sUMo>
Backwater Guiding

Old 12-09-2002, 01:53 PM
Tom B

Limits actually are rarely a factor. The DNR says that fewer than 10% of trips result in a limit of fish. (I know all about Mille Lacs this year and I also know that that is not the norm.) So that would tell me that if we allow 2 lines, which in turn, allows a few more anglers to take a limit, then pretty soon we do have a problem.

Right now, fishing in Minnesota is pretty darn good. If the biologists tell me that one of the things that could wreck it is multiple rods, I think I am going to listen. The biologists that I have talked to from Wisconsin say that the one thing that they could do to improve fishing would be to limit 1 rod per angler, but it will never happen because it would have to pass their idiotic Conservation Congress.

Regarding border waters... Big Stone and Traverse both have exceptional populations of walleyes, most of them small. Over-harvest is almost always the reason that I hear.

I have kept 8 walleyes in 2002, I am pretty sure that only 2 of them were caught on the same trip. I don't think I have kept a limit for at least 3 years...

During the public hearings that were held 2 years ago about changing limits in Minnesota, it was stated that for catch limits to make a difference, the walleye limit would need to be reduced to 2. Why?? Because very few people actually catch a limit, most only catch 1 or 2 or 3 fish during an outing.

Maybe it would work on some of the more tightly regulated lakes, but I would rather not mess with it. Plus, with the DNR budget shrinking, stocking will not be able to be expanded. That will mean protecting natural spawners and allowing more fish to grow to spawning size.

If you want to fish 2 lines, go to Wisconsin or SD or ND or IA....

For me, the bottom line is protecting the resource so that it is there tommorrow, not just today.

Tom B
Old 12-09-2002, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

I agree in protecting the resource, but not blindly picking rules. If indeed 1 rod helps, then that is good. But if it is (like you mention the daily limit is) not significantly affecting the population, would you still oppose 2 rods? I'm not saying it isn't affecting it, just that we really don't know.

Rules for rules sake is bad, IMHO. If they serve a true purpose, that is fine. But if it doesn't affect the fishery poorly, then let me have 2 rods :) I also wouldn't take just one biologists word for it. I would believe a study. (I am a biologist by training ;) hehe, with minor in environmental studies, and I don't want people taking my word at face value - look at scientific studies).

Is there a slot limit on Big Stone and Traverse? My brother has fished there and loved it, but I have not. I hope to maybe next year. The eastern border rivers do have a 15 inch min, and there are plenty of big ones to catch here. BTW, as has been mentioned here several times, not everybody fishing with two rods is necessarily going to take more than your 8 fish per year. Some, yes; All, no. I will eat more than 8 walleye per year, using one rod or two. But it certainly isn't a limit per trip by any means.

-Box

'97 Alumacraft TP175 w/ Merc 150efi - now an oldie but goodie...
'12 SouthBay 522F w/ Merc 60 Bigfoot 4S - fishing 'toon...
'82 Alumacraft Classic 16 w/ Merc Classic 50 - rehabbed ducker!
and a fleet of duck boats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.