Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Lake Vermilion MN - What do you prefer - East End or West End - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Fishing the Midwest with Bob Jensen > Award Winning FTM TV...with Bob Jensen

Old 01-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Minnow

Default Lake Vermilion MN - What do you prefer - East End or West End

Hi Guys,

I am putting together a fishing trip for the first week of june with a small group of buddies and am trying to determine which section of the lake would be better to fish. What have been your experiences regarding spring walleye locations? I have narrowed my resort choices down to one on each side (Pehrson's and EverretBay). I'm leaning towards the east end because of Pike Bay being a large spawning area thinking the fish will not be too far away from Pike Bay. Are there any prime spawning grounds on the west end? Now I just need to decide where the better fishing exists for walleyes. All of your input is greatly appreciated....can't wait for spring to come and the water to open up! Good fishing!

Waterboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Lake Vermilion MN - What do you prefer - East End or West End

I like the east end. Everetts is in a nice location. Pike bay, Caufield Bay and Everetts are all good areas. There is tons of good early seasons spots (mostly an evening bite) from the Lighthouse at Caufield bay over to Birch point along the south side of Pine Island.

Also-there is one tiny hump in Big Bay just outside Everetts bay just past the 1st group of islands. GREAT night or low light spot for some bigger fish. It tops out in 6-7' of water and is extremely rocky. Great place to stop for an hour and soak some slip bobber and down some beers before heading in. It is tough to find, but I am sure the resort owners can point you to it.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Lake Vermilion MN - What do you prefer - East End or West End

I've stayed at Pehrson's twice and liked it. Boated the whole lake.
That end of the lake seems to be easier to learn quickly. The Tower end seems so vast. The owner of Pehrson's doesn't fish much but he put me on to fish while I was there. GPS is a must.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:30 AM
Keeper

Default RE: Lake Vermilion MN - What do you prefer - East End o...

Waterboy

By early June the fish have spawned out and are hungry, scattered
and are just starting to establish the early summer pattern/range.

Both ends offer you opportunity - West is smaller and water can be covered quickly and will be warmer. Boat control easier due to less wind driven wave action and huge open water, critical depending upon your boats size and set-up. Great options to tuck in bays or behind
islands if it gets bit ugly.Rock/weeds/humps/mud/points and islands.

East 'the beast' huge open water,huge wind/waves-everywhere fishable
rock/flats/rubble/humps/bays/points and islands. A Bigger boat makes life a lot easier. The water will be colder ! More trolling options. And the fish even more scattered but hungry. Long boat runs - lots of gas and bring your cold/wet weather gear.

Watch for the Mayfly hatch - then go with worms ! If not-
Minnows and leeches.
Draggin cranks can be productive in certain areas.

Good electronics are extremely helpful to navigate both sides.
Night fishing without knowledge of the lake and no Chartplotter is dangerous. No speeding back to the resort - to many rocks/islands and
other boaters.
Take it slow and enjoy a beverage or cigar. Your on vacation remember.

Mother

ps- I'll give you a report on the opener of the action on the East
side.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 PM
.ebox.

Default RE: Lake Vermilion MN - What do you prefer - East End o...

Going to be up there the last week in August - Does anyone have any thoughts on it for that time of the year? We're staying on the West side.
thanks