Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Recommendations for Wisconsin trip in October - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2003, 06:34 AM
Jon

Default Recommendations for Wisconsin trip in October

I would like to plan a Musky trip to northern Wisconsin for the month of October. I am from Michigan and this would be my first attempt at Musky fishing in Wisconsin so I was wondering if I could get some input from anyone willing to help. I am looking at only 3 days of fishing and would like to concentrate on the best lake or group of lakes avaiable so as to maximize my fishing time. I would be launching a 20' glass boat so I would also need a half way descent launch site. Any lodging reccomendations would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance- Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Musky Mike

Default RE: Recommendations for Wisconsin trip in October

Hi Jon;

I fish northern WI some (Vilas county) so I'll start the ball rolling. It'd probably be a good idea if you state what part (county) of WI you're planning to fish. It'll help others tell you about lakes and launch sites in the area you're going to visit. For example in Vilas county the Eagle River chain is considered a numbers fishery whereas some of the other lakes are considered more as trophy waters. And most of the lakes that I have fished in the area have unimproved launch sites which might make floating a 20 footer a bit of a chore. My boat is also a 20' and whenever I go to Vilas, I usually fish from a guide's boat or use a rental for this very reason. Almost all the lakes have a musky population so finding musky waters to fish isn't much of a problem but finding suitable launch sites can be. I certainly don't know of all the lakes and launches in Vilas county, but the best launch site for a 20 footer that I personally know of would be on North Twin. Pelican Lake would probably also have some pretty good launch sites but I have never fished or launched on that lake so I don't know for certain. If you state the area you are planning to fish, I'm sure others can and will fill you in on details, especially launch capabilities.

Cheers and tight lines,

MLK
Old 08-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Jon

Mike- Thanks for getting things started. As I mentioned earlier this will be my 1st time to Wisconsin so I am just starting to do some heavy duty research and I'm really not sure what county I would like to focus on but Vilas county is one that I am considering heavily. I would like to find a lake that would provide good #'s of fish as well as a trophy lake. I would prefer to bring my boat but would be open to renting if someone can steer me in the right direction. I am planning on 3 days of fishing on the initial trip with a 4 day follow up later in the month. Thanks again for the help- Jon
Old 08-20-2003, 02:45 PM
Steve Jonesi

Jon,
Don't rule out Oneida County . There are some great lakes there and you will be up there at prime time!Tourist traffic will be light and boat traffic minimal.My recomendation would be the Minoqua chain to start. Good #'s with a shot at a 50".Lots of smaller lakes in the area to explore too. October in Wisco is sucker time!! We will cast Dawgs and cranks while dragging meat.A little tip:you don't need 3lb 20" suckers. Use a Maina liftoff rig or a Herbie rig with a good lively 12"-14" sucker and good things will happen.2 other must have baits that time of the year are a Mepps tandem Giant Killer white/silver and a mag fuzzy duzzit.Good luck!!! Steve
Old 08-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Dave10

Jon - I'd consider the St. Germain area, where you could fish Big Arbor Vitae, Little Arbor Vitae, Big St. Germain, etc. All good lakes with pretty good launches, as I recall. Another option would be Boulder Junction, where you could fish a number of lakes (High, Fishtrap, Trout, etc). I gues the list of suggestions could go on and on! Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Keeper

Tomahawk, Trout and the whole Flambeau chain...all are 20 minutes from Minocqua

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.