Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Tips for Muskie fishing in Cave Run Lake, Ky - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Alex

Default Tips for Muskie fishing in Cave Run Lake, Ky

I've been fishing for northern pike for many years in Northern Quebec with fantastic results. I always wanted to catch a Muskie, doesn't matter what size. I've caught some huge northerns incuding a 44 inches, 20.4lb this august.
I am about 3 hours from Cave Run Lake. I am looking for some tips, suggestions as far as which part of the lake, lures, depth etc.

Thanks,
Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Crashs Landing

Default RE: Tips for Muskie fishing in Cave Run Lake, Ky

"NEW Cave Run Lake Report Sept. 24, 2004"

LAST EDITED ON 09-24-04 AT 11:10 AM (CST)

September 24, 2004
WATER LEVEL: 13' Feet Above Summer Pool

WATER TEMP: 78 Degrees Surface-78 Degrees

WATER CLARITY: Clear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott's Creek, Alfrey, & Poppin' Rock are the only ramps open today.

BASIC INFORMATION:

MUSKIE:

Muskie Fishing had slowed due to High Water, until today. Continue to fish in the backs of hollows / coves as far back as you possibly can........although from most reports the Muskies are in the shallow waters where it's next to impossible to reach them. Lake levels are holding steady until the Ohio River subsides and then the Corp. of Engineers will begin to release water from Cave Run Lake. We hope that it will be a slow release and not disrupt normal fishing patterns.

BASS: Plastic worms and lizards in 5 to 15' feet; Flukes & Carolina-Rigs have been producing well. Night time has been the best bite. (Still no change)

CRAPPIE: Holding to submerged cover @ 10' to 12' feet.....Live Minnows have been the biggest producers escpecially at night.

TECHNIQUE & SUGGESTED LURES:

Slippery Sams, Bull Dawgs & 1 oz.Spinnerbaits have been the ticket! You want to concentrate fishing in 10' feet of water to 1' foot of water. Fish real tight to cover and get back into the bushes and tree tops.

Crank you Spinner baits a little slower than you normally would right now and try pitching out a topwater lure in the mornings and late eveings. I suggest Top Raiders and buzzbaits. While throwing Top Water lures be sure to have a very slow retrieve. We've also caught a few of our Muskies on the Super Stalker & Super Believer crankbaits with rubber tails; an absolute Must Have Lure for any Musky Fisherman.

Special Note: As the lake level rises, just keep moving on back into the brush.

Trolling over the weeds using medium running crank baits while short-lining (10' to 12' of line out), and the 10" Believers by Drifter Tackle, Little Ernies Super Stalkers, & Super Beiliverstrolled at the end of your prop wash have all been producing well. **Ziplo Flats have given up several fish lateley*

We sell FISHING/HUNTING LICENSE & Parking Permits (Cash Only)

Huge Supply of:

SUPER STALKERS, SUPER BELIEVERS, TOP RAIDERS (Bucher Tackle) SLIPPERY SAMS (SuperSlayer) BULLDAWGS - SHALLOW INVADERS, - DEEP INVADERS

"KEEP A TIGHT LINE, WE'LL SEE YA' NEXT TIME"

CRASH MULLINS

606-780-4260
www.crashslanding.com

Old 10-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Keeper

I would suggest that you visit one of the Musky shows that Guides from Cave Run are speaking. The seminars are great and a wealth of information. Well worth the trip.

Remember...fish don't live in ugly places!
Old 10-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Not a Guide

It's a good lake. Yes it is over fished and the guides in the area are totally useless in helping unless you give them 300 dollars, but you can catch fish. If you want the same quality, but not as many boats go to the green river. Get a fishing hot spots map. The flats are good, but they are pressured pretty tough. Hit the coves. Find standing timber. You will contact muskies by hitting the coves. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Minnow

Here is some picks from a good guide that knows some secrets.
He uses DualFin in-line planers, they ae ultra-light so they won't hurt the fish and puts 2 or 3 out on a side and flip them to the other side without reeling in.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...reggThomas.jpg

video at www.dualfin.com
Old 03-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Minnow

I'd listen to Crash (and Justin) Mullins. They REALLY know their stuff!!!

Rob
Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
larryc

Default gregg

I like ALL those guys !
Hey Paul ! [bul bob] ---why don't you send the information to Gregg you posted on the Washington State sticky extoling the taste of musky fillets and how more need harvested ? Gregg needs to stay up to speed on breaking news.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Minnow

When I was young I had no respect for Musky other then for food on the table. My respect for them today is only as a game fish not food. Things change in 50 years. All said, I see no problem with taking one for food from a lake that is over populated with 30" to 36". Some Musky guys are so touchy you would think are from PITA and others just think they are nuisance fish. Look at other species i.e. Blue Fin Tuna that are disappearing and fishermen are complaining they can't get enough. I love sushi but stopped eating Blue Fin because they are over fished. Cod is another perfect example. Fishermen thought it was a resource that would last forever. Thing is, they were right...until they started building bigger boats and bigger nets and using electronics to find them. I believe many fish today must be managed to maintain a sustainable resource for food and/or livelihood of the specie, fishing guides, sport fishermen and commercial fishermen.

Best Fishes,

Paul Lieb
BulletBobber Enterprises
www.bulletbobber.com
www.dualfin.com
Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Delo

Default Chris Halley

Does that Homo still run a guide service?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Minnow

Best tip for now is to stay home because the Fed Gov has closed all the ramps due to the shut down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.