Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
FLW Championship.... Problem? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 09-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Keeper

Default RE: FLW Championship.... Problem?

The big stir is that Illinois lifted the slot limit, that the two states have had in place for the last 2 years.Thats what has Iowa all fired up.Study or not, if Illinois does it for one tourn. are they going to have to do it for the rest?As far as walleye tourn in Iowa the DNR is still living in the ice age,they wont even allow a walleye tourn on state waters from June 1st until Sept 1.They dont think the livwells in todays boats have proper aeration systems.One thing I can guarantee the contestants,Iowa DNR will make it rough on you guys the week youre there.Make sure you have you T's crossed and your I's dotted.When the GNWC was there last time on a Illinois permit, you might get checked by the same warden several times during the same day.Good luck to all and Ill be curious to see how it all pans out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Juls_OH

Rick and I have been fishing for a week and a half now, and we haven't seen any DNR from either state on the water yet.
We're off the water today, because the puppy got bit by something, swelled up, and had to go to the vet (poor girl :(), so I can't say if they are out there today or not.

Juls
Old 09-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I didn't see any enforcment on the water this last weekend but that is not unusual this time of year, they've got waterfowlers to chase. I haven't been checked since late August on Pool 14. However, I believe you will see Iowa enforcment on the water in 14 and 16 next week... There are several Iowa DNR officers that regularly monitor this site and board, perhaps they'll give us their thoughts on this problem...Marion?:D
Old 09-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Public Info

The tournament will be Illinois waters only. This has been public for quite some time.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Gopher Fanatic

The fish don't know the line, I heard.
So, if you catch any eyes wearing pinstriped bibs and a deKalb caps you gotta release them. That'd be Iowa eyes. *wink wink.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:41 AM
Gary Korsgaden

After reading the various posts on here it becomes clear to me that some feel strongly that competive angling takes precedence over recreational fishing. I feel tournaments must abide by the rules and guidelines set up within the state. Fortunately, a number of years back the Minnesota DNR stood their ground when the PWT asked for special exceptions on the St. Louis River. Face it "recreational angling by nature takes a priority over competive angling" that follows through with management practices and goals. Frankly, I do not want competive angling to start telling the DNR or Game and Fish, how to manage the resource. So I want someone on here without taking personal shots, why they feel tournaments should be allowed to abide by a separate set of rules such as those the Illinois Game and Fish has set. Competive angling will stay healthy if we continue to consider the resource and competive angling's social impact on the recreational fisherman and live within the rules in which the event takes place. setting a precedence of "exceptions to the rule" will seriously harm relationships with the State Game and Fish Departments and the angling public.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:15 AM
reels ul

Your probably better off posting a new thread asking the question to get a better response.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:15 AM
reels ul

Your probably better off posting a new thread asking the question to get a better response.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:28 AM
Wallhanger

Gary - I respect your concern and personally I wish these types of decisions weren't made. I don't know how to say this without sounding like a smart *ss but here goes.....

You're singing to the wrong choir here. Anglers do NOT set the rules or make the requests to have rules temporarily amended. People that feel this is going to have a negative impact on fishing, populations, images, etc. need to professionally direct their concerns to the tournament directors, DNR and state regulatory staff or perhaps their own chamber of commerce....

On another note, the fisheries in the USA might be in better shape if tournament anglers were in charge as I've NEVER met any single person that is more concerned about the health of the fisheries then tournament anglers!

Time to go fishing.......... Kurt
Old 09-23-2005, 06:28 AM
Wallhanger

Gary - I respect your concern and personally I wish these types of decisions weren't made. I don't know how to say this without sounding like a smart *ss but here goes.....

You're singing to the wrong choir here. Anglers do NOT set the rules or make the requests to have rules temporarily amended. People that feel this is going to have a negative impact on fishing, populations, images, etc. need to professionally direct their concerns to the tournament directors, DNR and state regulatory staff or perhaps their own chamber of commerce....

On another note, the fisheries in the USA might be in better shape if tournament anglers were in charge as I've NEVER met any single person that is more concerned about the health of the fisheries then tournament anglers!

Time to go fishing.......... Kurt