Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
PWT Super Pro Payout - Page 10 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 12-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Slot Fish

Default RE: PWT Super Pro Payout

I think the shows were more interesting when I got to see more anglers fishing. Also, like I said,possible big viewership dosn't mean bigger market share. JMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Brett C

Hey guys,

As the writer of the article, I can tell you that all of our tournament coverage is near the end of the magazine. The section of the magazine is actually called Tournament Scene and all tourney coverage is placed here, even the FLW Tour. The beginning portion of the magazine is reserved for a variety of features. Just thought I'd let you know there is no walleye discrimination.

Juls,

I don't believe I've ever met you. We'll have to get together for a preview story for the Web site sometime this season.

Brett
Old 12-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Brett C

Hey guys,

As the writer of the article, I can tell you that all of our tournament coverage is near the end of the magazine. The section of the magazine is actually called Tournament Scene and all tourney coverage is placed here, even the FLW Tour. The beginning portion of the magazine is reserved for a variety of features. Just thought I'd let you know there is no walleye discrimination.

Juls,

I don't believe I've ever met you. We'll have to get together for a preview story for the Web site sometime this season.

Brett
Old 12-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for verifying what I thought was the situation Fish-on.

The PWT has a no-entry fee championship, and has for many years. The events BASS has that are no entry fees are qualified with a $5000 entry fee tourney's.

BASS can do more tourney's because there are more pro's, and a longer season.

If your a Walleye tourney guy, 10 tournaments a year is a really full schedule - if you may be fortunate enough to qualify for additional championship tournaments there is even more to squeeze in. Our season is not that long. The way it is now, the first tournament is usually held when the lakes in MN and ND still have ice.

The regional's appear to be just the qualifying format being asked for.

It also appears to have a mix of new and existing competitors, since everyone is either complaining about a rookie qualifying or a collection of self protecting veterans. Looks to me to be the correct selection process.

The top 5 regional competitors will be invited to the Elite Series next year - sounds like the qualifying format for the future is defined.

No need to put everything on hold til next year, or the year after, or 5 years from now.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for verifying what I thought was the situation Fish-on.

The PWT has a no-entry fee championship, and has for many years. The events BASS has that are no entry fees are qualified with a $5000 entry fee tourney's.

BASS can do more tourney's because there are more pro's, and a longer season.

If your a Walleye tourney guy, 10 tournaments a year is a really full schedule - if you may be fortunate enough to qualify for additional championship tournaments there is even more to squeeze in. Our season is not that long. The way it is now, the first tournament is usually held when the lakes in MN and ND still have ice.

The regional's appear to be just the qualifying format being asked for.

It also appears to have a mix of new and existing competitors, since everyone is either complaining about a rookie qualifying or a collection of self protecting veterans. Looks to me to be the correct selection process.

The top 5 regional competitors will be invited to the Elite Series next year - sounds like the qualifying format for the future is defined.

No need to put everything on hold til next year, or the year after, or 5 years from now.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Keeper

I am looking forward to more exciting television coverage of walleye events. The problem has always been walleye angling translates to duller tv shows. The action is methodical compared to more action oriented bass or redfish angling. Just not as 'sexy' on tv. We all know how challenging it is to run cranks on leadcore to just 'knick' the top of a deep reef, but the tv viewers just see some guys trolling along looking at his electronics and waving to the camera. I recall a PWT event televised from Baudette that showed most of the tourney field anchored and stacked together like cord wood.
The commentators said 'anglers have decided to wait for the fish to come to them'. I was like what is so 'professional' about that? It was dullsville tv and a poor reflection on professional walleye anglers.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Keeper

I am looking forward to more exciting television coverage of walleye events. The problem has always been walleye angling translates to duller tv shows. The action is methodical compared to more action oriented bass or redfish angling. Just not as 'sexy' on tv. We all know how challenging it is to run cranks on leadcore to just 'knick' the top of a deep reef, but the tv viewers just see some guys trolling along looking at his electronics and waving to the camera. I recall a PWT event televised from Baudette that showed most of the tourney field anchored and stacked together like cord wood.
The commentators said 'anglers have decided to wait for the fish to come to them'. I was like what is so 'professional' about that? It was dullsville tv and a poor reflection on professional walleye anglers.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 AM
personalities

>I am looking forward to more exciting television coverage of
>walleye events. The problem has always been walleye angling
>translates to duller tv shows. The action is methodical
>compared to more action oriented bass or redfish angling. Just
>not as 'sexy' on tv. We all know how challenging it is to run
>cranks on leadcore to just 'knick' the top of a deep reef, but
>the tv viewers just see some guys trolling along looking at
>his electronics and waving to the camera. I recall a PWT event
>televised from Baudette that showed most of the tourney field
>anchored and stacked together like cord wood.
>The commentators said 'anglers have decided to wait for the
>fish to come to them'. I was like what is so 'professional'
>about that? It was dullsville tv and a poor reflection on
>professional walleye anglers.

the tv shows are interesting, but mostly when the action is in one of the pros boats not when a commentator or narrartor speaks throughout the whole show. I bet the reason why we only see the same pros on TV is because either there is a cream of the crop that always does well or there is only a select few of pros who are entertaining on camera. I'd probably be more interested is seeing a show where Tommy Skarlis is wooting and hollaring in his boat a wide shot of him in his boat with a narrartor telling me what he's doing. Lucky for both FLW and PWT TV that Skarlis fishes both circuits.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 AM
personalities

>I am looking forward to more exciting television coverage of
>walleye events. The problem has always been walleye angling
>translates to duller tv shows. The action is methodical
>compared to more action oriented bass or redfish angling. Just
>not as 'sexy' on tv. We all know how challenging it is to run
>cranks on leadcore to just 'knick' the top of a deep reef, but
>the tv viewers just see some guys trolling along looking at
>his electronics and waving to the camera. I recall a PWT event
>televised from Baudette that showed most of the tourney field
>anchored and stacked together like cord wood.
>The commentators said 'anglers have decided to wait for the
>fish to come to them'. I was like what is so 'professional'
>about that? It was dullsville tv and a poor reflection on
>professional walleye anglers.

the tv shows are interesting, but mostly when the action is in one of the pros boats not when a commentator or narrartor speaks throughout the whole show. I bet the reason why we only see the same pros on TV is because either there is a cream of the crop that always does well or there is only a select few of pros who are entertaining on camera. I'd probably be more interested is seeing a show where Tommy Skarlis is wooting and hollaring in his boat a wide shot of him in his boat with a narrartor telling me what he's doing. Lucky for both FLW and PWT TV that Skarlis fishes both circuits.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Opti Mistical

It might cost a sponsor, if some fisherman had a sponsor whose advertising people were looking for a way to dump him, anyway. Most sponsors sponsor the person for the person he is, and his ability to create interest in a product. They look strongly at how the person represents himself.
Where exposure is concerned, there can be good advertising or bad advertising. To continue to sponsor the individual or not, depends on the individual, not on whether he "made the cut" on some new format.
Most sponsors want a guy who people like and who can generate fuzzy feelings about their product. One off year won't get you canned.

Hang in there guys. If you lose a sponsor from not making the cut, they were looking for a reason to dump you already.