Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
FLW Red Wing - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: FLW Red Wing

Good discussion. I am glad the co's that fish with me will never have to make that decision.

Do you think that as the sport grows and we see more "full-time" co's that this could get worse? With more pro's/co's getting to know each other and fishing together more often, will you lose some of the anonymity that keeps people in line?

Dave S
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Keeper

What if the co-angler is solely responsible for the boat arriving late? The co-angler still gets his points in your perfect world? What if the co-angler has an injury forcing the pro to avoid pounding waves out of concern for his partner. What if the co-angler pops off planer boards on the last pass of the day and the pro has to run back and retrieve them and that 90 seconds was the time they we late?

There are very professional pro's and less professional pro's. Same is true for the co-anglers that have less stake in the game and are not held to the same standards.

What if the co breaks gear, steals way points, gives out way points freely, loses concentration, uses drugs or whines all day? Who do you see about that?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I believe the pro has the option of refusing a co at the beginning of the day. I'm basing that on a seminar given by a pro - paraphrasing -
He said he only had one co-angler that was a 'bad experience'. And that co-angler told him before the day started that he was not going to be able to help him fish that day. The mistake the Pro made, was he should have spoke with the tournament director prior to the start of the day, and had a replacement co-angler named. He did not, and it was indeed a bad experience.

So, it can happen, but I believe that co angler would find himself without a ride rather quickly, with the program in place.

Being exposed to having is happen once is unfortunate, and an existing exposure. Being exposed to having it happen time after time does not exist in the current program. At least that is my understanding.

I agree with Chad - the more money involved, the more temptation there will be.

As a co-angler, I hope to never get put in that situation. I certainly appreciate a pro that makes those hard decisions to stay within the rules. Money can buy things, but integrity means a whole lot more in the long run.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Red Wing Co

Question that may clarify/confuse this cituation. Is this scenario legal or not legal for FLW rules. A Pro and Co catch 7 fish as was the bag limit for this tournament. They stop fishing as required and measure/weigh their fish to see which ones they are going to way. Before leaving their spot for the weigh-in, the reach into the live-well and release the 2 they are not going to weigh rather then haul them back to the weigh-in and let them sit for an hour while they weigh the other fish. As someone in another boat, this is going to look as if they are culling fish and maybe what is what started all this. Just a thought, I didn't hear or see a rule that said you must keep all 7 fish until after the weigh-in. Any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Red Wing Co

Question that may clarify/confuse this cituation. Is this scenario legal or not legal for FLW rules. A Pro and Co catch 7 fish as was the bag limit for this tournament. They stop fishing as required and measure/weigh their fish to see which ones they are going to way. Before leaving their spot for the weigh-in, the reach into the live-well and release the 2 they are not going to weigh rather then haul them back to the weigh-in and let them sit for an hour while they weigh the other fish. As someone in another boat, this is going to look as if they are culling fish and maybe what is what started all this. Just a thought, I didn't hear or see a rule that said you must keep all 7 fish until after the weigh-in. Any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Good point Red Wing Co.
That is certainly something that could be misunderstood when watching from a distance.

As far as I know, it's ok to release the two fish you don't plan on keeping once you reach your limit, and are done fishing for the day.

That's what I do, right or wrong, since I don't want to stress out any fish more than I have to. The sooner they are out of my livewell, the better.

I will have to check with Sonny to see exactly what the procedure is regarding letting the two extras go....when and where etc.

Juls
Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Good point Red Wing Co.
That is certainly something that could be misunderstood when watching from a distance.

As far as I know, it's ok to release the two fish you don't plan on keeping once you reach your limit, and are done fishing for the day.

That's what I do, right or wrong, since I don't want to stress out any fish more than I have to. The sooner they are out of my livewell, the better.

I will have to check with Sonny to see exactly what the procedure is regarding letting the two extras go....when and where etc.

Juls
Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM
j unlogged

Legal by FLW and the States of MN/WI as far as I can tell....as long as they don't try to fish for more walleyes.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM
j unlogged

Legal by FLW and the States of MN/WI as far as I can tell....as long as they don't try to fish for more walleyes.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 PM
KB

Only problem with releasing the two fish before you weigh in is if you slip on dock & dump bag, fish somehow flip out of boat, or one of your livewell fish dies, you may wish you still had one of the two fish available or both.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.