Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
How much do you pay your pro for a tip in the pwt as an amateur? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

View Poll Results: How much do you pay your pro for a tip in the pwt as an amateur?
Nothing 2 8.33%
$20 4 16.67%
$40 11 45.83%
$60 1 4.17%
More 5 20.83%
Based on how the day went 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:34 AM
NDr

Default RE: How much do you pay your pro for a tip in the pwt as an amateur?

Depends on the pro's attitude. I've always given $50/day. But I do have to admit one time I did not give anything. I had a guy who'd been having a bad tourney. But instead of taking it in stride and and just fishing and having fun, the guy was a complete jerk. So, it cost him. I hope I made his day even a bit worse. He was the exception though. Most of the guys I've had have always been great. I see fishing as an am is not much different than hiring a guide. I alway tip them so, why wouldn't I tip these guys. Especially since these guys are taking me to their best spots and trying their hardest. You rarely get that from a guide.

I've also fished a few on the pro side. But I've never taken any money. The ones I've fished have been on my home waters and I figured that these guys had to spend a lot more than I did to fish those so I thanked them for the offer and turned them down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 08:34 AM
NDr

Depends on the pro's attitude. I've always given $50/day. But I do have to admit one time I did not give anything. I had a guy who'd been having a bad tourney. But instead of taking it in stride and and just fishing and having fun, the guy was a complete jerk. So, it cost him. I hope I made his day even a bit worse. He was the exception though. Most of the guys I've had have always been great. I see fishing as an am is not much different than hiring a guide. I alway tip them so, why wouldn't I tip these guys. Especially since these guys are taking me to their best spots and trying their hardest. You rarely get that from a guide.

I've also fished a few on the pro side. But I've never taken any money. The ones I've fished have been on my home waters and I figured that these guys had to spend a lot more than I did to fish those so I thanked them for the offer and turned them down.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Minnow

Default RE: How much do you pay your pro for a tip in the PWT/FLW?

As a co it was always okward on what to give but after turning pro it was the last thing going through my head, thinking what I was goinging to get from my co didnt matter but at the end of the day good or bad it was always apprecited, thanks co-anglers (Teamwork)
Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Minnow

Default RE: How much do you pay your pro for a tip in the PWT/FLW?

As a co it was always okward on what to give but after turning pro it was the last thing going through my head, thinking what I was goinging to get from my co didnt matter but at the end of the day good or bad it was always apprecited, thanks co-anglers (Teamwork)
Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

There is other ways to look at this also! When I fished one I gave 40.00 a day but in my opinion when you are fishing the 3rd day and you catch your fair share of the fish that just won the pro 10 grand I think the pro should be the one tipping when he finished in the money and you didn't! I pre-fished with a great guy had no prob. giving money, then 2 others the next 2 days no problem! But the 3rd guy barley spoke to me all day until I caught the 19and a half incher late in the day that won him a bunch of money! Then he was my best friend! But for the most part 99% of the pro's are great guy's and I can't wait to do it again!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
WAZZZ

Don't give or take a penny. Pre-fishing absolutely. Tournaments absolutely not. Just my opinion. What do I know. The pro should give the Co trinkets from all his sponsers and autographed copies of his books and videos, maybe discounted copies. Also the pro should get the Co's address and send well wishes and Christmas cards like the great Gary Gray did.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

I have to be very honest on this issue. I have never fished a PWT event so I am not speaking in anything more than the hypothetical. With that said, I have to say that unlike the FLW where the Co-Anglers ARE fishing for $$$$, and they feel that their entry fees are being returned to some extent, in the PWT I feel that no part of the CO-Anglers' entry fees are being returned and in fact I feel that those entry fees are being put into the pot for the Pros. That to me is a fair contribution already.

In the FLW I feel like I am "competing" with a partner, so I contribute. I believe I would feel that I was "helping" the Pro in the PWT.

I doubt that I would contribute if I did a PWT event. I might change my mind after a day in the boat. But, regardless of what I did I would do it with an explanation after a discussion. I'm an in your face, not behind your back, kind of person, so I would have a discussion with the Pro and ask his feelings and opinions after expressing mine.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

>I have to be very honest on this issue. I have never fished
>a PWT event so I am not speaking in anything more than the
>hypothetical. With that said, I have to say that unlike the
>FLW where the Co-Anglers ARE fishing for $$$$, and they feel
>that their entry fees are being returned to some extent, in
>the PWT I feel that no part of the CO-Anglers' entry fees are
>being returned and in fact I feel that those entry fees are
>being put into the pot for the Pros. That to me is a fair
>contribution already.

I voted ZERO in tips :)

1) As a matter of fact the pwt pro needs the co-angler in the boat to make it look like like he is on the up and up (in some cases), even though I've read more than one story on how the so-called pro 'brow-beat his Co into submission.

2) I wish I could get a 1st mate to pay for his work on-board my boat, instead of the other way around.

3) If the pwt ever runs out of clue-less rookies to help pay the pros tab w/the pwt payback system in place, well ..........

4) I'd better quit cuz this could go on all day -heheh :)

da old fart,
Bebob da I-Bobray
Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Wallhanger

I have a question for you guys. If I do the math I find that the amatures, thats what they are called in the PWT, the amatures entry fee's do not go into the pot for the payouts. They are playing each tourney for there own cash. Tell me I am wrong.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Marr

I don't think that the amateurs get any money at PWT. They get prizes. Some are good (I recall a buddy winning a prokicker), but I believe that most if not all of the am prizes are donated from sponsors. That, of course, begs the question...where do the am entry fees go?
Closed Thread