Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Leech traps - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Minnow

Default Leech traps

could someone please inform me on how to construct a leech a trap, I realize that they are probably excessively simple and I read instructions on it but couldn't make heads or tails of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Keeper

Default RE: Leech traps

Ho Soolkyut

I catch a lot of my own leeches. I use a tin foil pie plate folded in half, I punch a hole through the lips of the pie plate to tie it shut and to retrieve it. Inside I place a piece of raw liver and a rock to weight it down. I leave about an 1/8" to a 1/4" gap between the lips of the plate for them to get in. I find the tin foil pie plate method to be very economical and simple. You simply bring it in, open it and slide the leeches into a pail. I have tried the coffee can with holes punched in it but its very difficult to get those little suckers out without cutting up your knuckles. The gunny sack idea I also found to be difficult to remove the leeches. I do this in the dark so I find the tin pie plates a lot easier. I usually trap leeches in sloughs and dugouts. I try to pick places that don't have fish. I usually throw the traps in about 1.5 to 3 feet of water. I usually put them in in the dark and pull them out in the dark. Usually in a 24 hour time frame. Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2003, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

I gotta ask, why set them in the dark?
Old 04-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Keeper

The leeches usually move around alot more when it's dark out.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:02 PM
mwk

When is the best time of the year to go leechin? Can a guy get leeches right after ice out? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:26 AM
Keeper

It's usually a little slow right after ice out, but it does pick up fairly quickly as the water warms a bit.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Wallhanger

Sool.
Used to work for a commercial fisherman one high school summer. Friend of my Dad's who ran a catfish trot line. He used Blood Suckers for catfish bait. In most cases Blood Suckers are bigger and are usually red or orange on one side. We'd catch a few leeches with the blood suckers, but they are not pleantyfull around my neck of the woods. All he'd do is take a fresh dead carp and put it in a burlap bag. Throw it in a pot hole in the local swamp and check it every two days or so. Lot of them bad boys stuck all over the inside and out.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Wallhanger

i guess your from Manitoba by the jets logo,i have seen the trappers along #1 hyw what they use is a small black plastic bag apx 3in wide by 18in long bag has a lot of 1/4 in holes in it, they put a peice of liver in it with a rock and a peice of rope with a peice of styrofoam sm tied to it with there trappers # on it,they collect and place them with a canoe in those little mud holes

2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain black