Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Northern Pike/Muskie in Iowa? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Keeper

Default Northern Pike/Muskie in Iowa?

Besides the Iowa Great Lakes, does anyone have any suggestions on where I could do some fishing for Northern/Muskie in Iowa? I don't get to the Mississippi often enough, but I have heard Clear Lake has some.
Does it have enough of a population to fish a weekend for them w/ a decent chance of success?
Thanks,
NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2003, 06:35 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Northern Pike/Muskie in Iowa?

Pike inhabit almost all the inland streams and any connecting lakes in Iowa, as do bass. Even the Iowa river holds them near me where it is only 30' across. You just have to pursue them. Muskies are caught in Clear Lake by accident while fishing for other species. Even by kids fishing with worms in the spring for bullheads. The consentration of fish isn't as great in Iowa as say Ontario.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:37 AM
Eric W

Like the above mentioned, Pike are found in many of the inland streams as well as most all of the natural lakes in the northern part of the state. don't overlook the small shallow natural lakes. Muskie fishing is best in the Iowa Great Lakes, but there are plenty to be caught in Clear Lake, which gets less pressure for muskie fishing. Another lake to try for muskie in southern IA is Three-mile near Creston. Good Fishing!
Old 04-16-2003, 05:32 PM
Rubes

Rivers are a good place to catch northerns. The Des Moines River below Saylorville Dam all the way to Red Rock Dam is prime area for Northern Pike. I've personally seen 10 lbs. caught and know a co-worker that caught a 23lber. Try 3-mile lake for Muskie. They have been more aggressive in Stocking at Big Creek Lake and this lake should now be considered a trophy lake or a trophy lake in the making. A buddy of mine just caught and released a 28" walleye. Catch and release is a must if we are going to continue to enjoy great fishing any where in the state of Iowa. Conservation (catch and release) is very important for the future of our sport and the enjoyment of future generations. Take a kid fishing.........
Old 04-16-2003, 07:10 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the info guys. I did not know that 3-mile had muskie! I've heard Big Creek did, but wasn't sure if there were enough to make the trip worth while or not. I'm certainly going to try Clear Lake but since I live in Des Moines I think Big Creek will have to get some attention as well.
I appreciate all of the info.
NC
Old 06-10-2012, 03:19 PM
FisherLady

Talking

You can find ONE northern pike in lake panorama. up near panora. with how big that lake is, its quite a challenge, but my brother managed to catch it. by now there may be more than one. the one he caught was 12 pounds or so XD probably not a top choice for muskie/pike fishing
Old 06-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Try fishing the backwaters of most of the rivers. After a flood/high water, hit any ponds or sand pits that were flooded. Don't tell anyone where you got them all!

Bill
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Wallhanger

Des Moines river below redrock is full of pike. My dad loved to catch them things and I spent many a day there in the spring casting spoons for the spawners when it was freezing. I remember eating a lot of pike when I was a kid. A stickleback on a red floating jighead caught me a lot of pike too.