Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Abu Garcia Royal Express III - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Slot Fish

Default Abu Garcia Royal Express III

A friend just gave me one of these reels and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with them. A google search pretty much came up empty, so it seems Abu no longer makes them.

It looks to be about the size of a 6500/6600 and has a bait clicker, 3 bearings.

I'm assuming it is at least a decent reel, unless someone tells me different.

Any/all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 03:18 PM
unlogged Rod Holder

Default RE: Abu Garcia Royal Express III

I have a 5601 Royal Express, lefty. Here is the scoop: a Royal Express has the same high speed retrieve as a C4 (6.3 to 1) but with one less bearing. An Abu C3 has three bearings but a 5.3 to 1 ratio. So...bearings same as a C3, ratio same as a C4. I don't necessarily like my Royal Express and it's because of the high speed retrieve, but it was the first casting reel I got. Over the last few years I've been using C4 winches on my bottom bouncer rods and I love them. 3.8 to 1 ratio and you can crank in a heavy load with no pumping what so ever. Apparently, the winches didn't go over so well as they are now hard to find. Glad I got a number of them when I did.