Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Rapala "X-Rap" for walleye ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Wallhanger

Default Rapala "X-Rap" for walleye ?

Just tried the new (fairly new) Rapala X rap this weekend casting shallow for walleye for the first time.
I understood this lure from the marketing I have seen to be an agressive action bass lure. However I was very impressed with the long cast and suspending action. When pulled fairly slow it appears to be a very good looking walleye lure. Just wondering how other guys who cast cranks a lot rate this lure up against a husky jerk or other suspender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Supporting Vendor

Default RE: Rapala

I have had great luck with the X-Raps on Devils Lake. They seem to work on the days the Husky Jerks don't provide enough action. Great over weed tops or shallow rock bars.

The smaller size has become my favorite. It casts like a bullet.

Johnnie Candle
Old 07-17-2006, 09:50 AM
RDJ unlogged

Hey Jim, I'll echo what Johnnie said. I used them this spring out at Devils Lk as well and they produced good bites. Were a great bait when the wind kicked up a bit as they do cast better than the lighter Esko's or HJ's. The Northerns seemed especially fond of the blue/Chart. model. Let me know if those CF walleye liked them. See ya, RJ
Old 07-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Hey Rob,

Took a "novice" buddy fishing last week and he brought one. In my infinite wisdom I told him it was a bass lure. Wrong again!

Yeah them CF eyes seem love to em. Had several take it at the boat with about 3 foot of line out just before picking up. Had to start figure 8ing!
Problem is I only had one and its in the rocks right now.
You have to be careful not to over work them but wow, rattles, long cast, suspending...they seem to have it all. I cant wait to try them at night.
I just have not heard much from walleye guys about them.

I wonder if they make a deeper model say dive to 6'-12'? Ill have to look.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Wallhanger

I've given them a good shot on Mille Lacs the past year. One walleye in many, many hours trolling and that was on one that I removed the "tail" on the rear treble. I tried several different colors, ran them shallow and deep, just hasn't worked for me. I won't be filling my box with them any time soon.

BIRDDOG
Old 07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Keeper

I was in a 30 boat northern pike tourny last novemember. We couldnt seem to pull anything over 35 inchs when buddy had the wonderful idea of putting the "new" xrap on. slapped a small snap weight on to get it down to suspend right above the weed bed we were fishing.. No longer than 10 minutes later of aggressive slapping while we were trolling and we had the money fish on... The fish was so big, we couldnt make ground on it.. had to pull the remaining lines and reverse the motor..
as it approached the boat are dreams were crushed when we pulled up a 20lb drum that was foul hooked.. neverless we didnt end up placing in the tourny.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Minnow

They are a GREAT eye bait!!! As mentioned they cast like a bullet and have a great action. Sometimes the eyes like a long slow jerk, sometimes repeated hard, fast jerks. After 'jerking' real up the slack and let the 'X' sit motionless for a moment and then repeat.

Best eye of the year so far (pushing 31") came on an X-rap ... and many many smaller eaters.