Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
removing gas smell from auto carpet - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Default removing gas smell from auto carpet

a friend accidentally spilled about a pint of mixed gas on carpet of her car (don't ask). Any good way to get the smell out? he's tried vacuuming it with a carpet cleaner, baking soda etc.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Keeper

Default .

Try putting a few dryer sheets in the car it should help but it does take awhile.

gdi
Old 11-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

I have a friend who swears by ground coffee for removing smells from auto carpet. Fair warning- I have not done this myself.

He spreads a thin layer over the spill and vacuums it up 2-3 days later. Avoid getting the coffee wet or you'll get a stain. He says used dried coffee grounds also work, slower, but less risk of a stain.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Call a restoration service. They may have a fix for you.
They clean up after catastrophies.
NPAA #499
Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnut View Post
a friend accidentally spilled about a pint of mixed gas on carpet of her car (don't ask). Any good way to get the smell out? he's tried vacuuming it with a carpet cleaner, baking soda etc.
thanks
I found a product called NokOut on the web that really works on mold and mildew odors and tobacco smoke odors. On their website it doesn't say anything about removing fuel smells but might not hurt to contact them and ask. Here's their website.

http://www.nokout.com/odorelim/cars/

b2
Old 11-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I would think that you would first have to thoroughly flush the spill with solvent base cleaner like perchloroethylene. Do this in a well ventilated area and leave the car doors open after finishing. The solvent will emulsify the mixed fuel and aid in its removal. Then mix up some Biz laundry detergent and warm water and take a mild scrub brush and agitate the spot with the mixture. Then use your shop vac to extract the liquid and rinse with clear water. Throroughly wet vac the area again to remove all the moisture possible. Put a small fan on the area and allow to dry. This should do the trick. The only problem will be that you will now have an area cleaner than the rest of the carpets.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

He may want to try to take the carpet out and the try cleaning it.
If it is in the car everything will sit there until it evaporates.

Worse case he could replace the carpet.
NPAA #499
Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Patience my son patience. It will eventually go away. I would try to get the spot as warm as possiable to evaporate the smell. Just not hot enough to melt the carpet. It will take a couple of weeks to go away but it will.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Wallhanger

Go and buy a Taco Bell Volcano taco ... you won't notice any gas smell, and when that wears off the smell will be gone. Also baking soda (after cleaning) vaccum and do it again and again. It absorbs the smell, pretty well for puppy accidents.

karpbuster
Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Actually, go to the nearby hardware store and rent a rug doctor.
Go ahead and use it to clean all of the carpets in your house as needed for the holidays.

Then, take the rug doctor to the driveway, and really soak down the carpet with rug doctor spot cleaner and shampoo about 3 times, cleaning between each time.

Then, go over it three more times, using vinegar, rather than water in the cleaner.

Then, go over it three more times just using hot water to rinse everything out.

Clean carpets everywhere in the house and car, and a clean and factory new smelling car.

The rug doctor, really does an excellent job of cleaning up a carpet.

I used this technique when I spilled two full 2 lieters of coke into the carpet, with its apparent staining. After using the rug doctor technique, all was clean and shiny and no stains or smells, or sticky spots.

As with any carpet cleaning, it is always a good idea to leave all of the windows open for a week or so in a heated garage for everything to totally dry out.

Take care
REW