Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Simplicity or Toro Snowblower?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 AM
jack frost

Default Simplicity or Toro Snowblower??

I cant decide on what one, I went to the Toro / Simplicity dealer and they say the Simplicity is a much more rugged unit but the Toro the higher rated I tryed booth units and you can literally feel how solid the simplicity is over the toro, the toro has a lot of plastic, even the chute and controls and the auger is well lighter gauge steel but I really love the joy stick on the toro!! will it hold up over time (joy stick) ? it is plastic as well or do you think I should get the all steel heavy duty simplicity? I will be using this on a gravel drive way and also the back yard it is kida tough turf, Thanks for any opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

jackfrost

I sell them and the Toro is the best deal. Simplicity was bought by Briggs & Stratton and some of the newer Simplicity models are Murray and some are the old Simplicity design. The plastic on the Toro is a non issue and has on be a problem.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Keeper

Default Snowblower

Bought a Toro back in 1993. It's only a single stage but its had a lot of use and the only thing I've done is change two spark plugs and one belt and one ignition switch. I'd certainly not hesitate to buy a Toro. Don't know anything about the other one though.

Paul C.
Mattawan, MI
Old 12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Simplicity or Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack frost View Post
I cant decide on what one, I went to the Toro / Simplicity dealer and they say the Simplicity is a much more rugged unit but the Toro the higher rated I tryed booth units and you can literally feel how solid the simplicity is over the toro, the toro has a lot of plastic, even the chute and controls and the auger is well lighter gauge steel but I really love the joy stick on the toro!! will it hold up over time (joy stick) ? it is plastic as well or do you think I should get the all steel heavy duty simplicity? I will be using this on a gravel drive way and also the back yard it is kida tough turf, Thanks for any opinions.
I have a Simplicity 9 horse 2-stage. I bought it in '97 and it has been trouble-free for the past 11 years. Still looks like new too. I've used synthetic oil in it since break-in (after the 1st year of service). Can't comment about the Toro though since I've never owned one.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Minnow

I've got an 8 hp two stage simplicity that I bought new in 1996. Like the other person here...she still looks brand new. I also use synthetic oil. I have not been able to find any other maker that produces such a rugged blower. My handles are made of solid steel...and the support arms are heavy boxed type units. Most others use thin gauge pipe...that seem almost shaky when manuevering the blower.

Good luck on your quest....If Simplicity hasn't changed...that would be my recommendation.

Wayne
Old 12-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

I don't recall for sure when I purchased my 8hp 2 stage Simplicity ... but after 18 to 20 years ( Close Guess ) it still looks almost new and keeps on going.

It's first years were in Merton wisconsin and often I needed to blow the driveway clear 2 or three times a day.

It doesn't get as much use here in SD but I know it will do the job.

I would reccomend one if they have not been cheapened over the years.

Morton
Old 12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

Can't comment on the two mentioned, but I purchased a Honda 2-stage back in 1986. It still looks and runs like new. It also has seen synthetic oil most of its life.

Last edited by SteveJ; 12-08-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Type
Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Wallhanger

Default Toro

I bought a Toro 724 back in 1995 and other than changing the sparkplug twice, nothing else has been done to it. I drain the gas every spring, starts every fall without issue. It also throws the snow far. You can't go wrong with a Toro!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Wallhanger

I have a Ariens and it has been great, but you are not comparing it to the other two. If I were you I would get the Simplicity. I looked at some new units this fall and I see alot of plastic. Plastic and cold weather could be a problem. The only reason to use it is cheaper and less weight. It will not rust but rust won't kill you....
Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Jack Frost
Before you decide on your snowblower - take a look at the Ariens blower.
Wonderful units and very heavy industrial quality blowers.

The simplicity if my vote if you want to compare just the Toro or simplicity.
As you suggest, tougher and better made blowers.

Another blower to check out is the troy built blower. Well made with the built in differential.

Take care
REW