Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
What to use for hearing protection? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 PM
PackerSmacker's Avatar
PackerSmacker PackerSmacker is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas Cowboy Country, United States
Posts: 766
Default What to use for hearing protection?

I have been using the ear muff type for hearing protection and that does not seem to be enough. That cuts down on the noise by about 24 db. What do you guys recommend?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 PM
yarcraft91's Avatar
yarcraft91 yarcraft91 is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere in the middle of..., Michigan.
Posts: 6,910
Default

For all my target shooting, I use earmuff-type hearing protectors over foam ear plugs. The combination is very effective at reducing the noise. Either one alone just isn't enough for me. You are wise to protect your hearing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 PM
PackerSmacker's Avatar
PackerSmacker PackerSmacker is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas Cowboy Country, United States
Posts: 766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
For all my target shooting, I use earmuff-type hearing protectors over foam ear plugs. The combination is very effective at reducing the noise. Either one alone just isn't enough for me. You are wise to protect your hearing.
I tried the foam ear plugs and they were not all that comfortable. Do you use the orange or the yellow foam? It seems like the yellow foam might be softer and more comfortable?

I have found some 34 db muffs. I think that I will try those out also.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2008, 04:50 AM
yarcraft91's Avatar
yarcraft91 yarcraft91 is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere in the middle of..., Michigan.
Posts: 6,910
Default

I use the orange foam plugs, both Silencio and Howard Leight brands. The Silencios are shaped like a bullet, the Leights have a flare at one end. Both are available through typical sporting goods outlets. I prefer the Leights. You might try some other styles of earplugs to see if some are more comfortable- there are some shaped like cylinders, others that have a hard plastic handle with a foam dome on the end that goes into your ear and so on.

I wear eyeglasses. I find the temples of the glasses break the seal between the earmuffs and my head just enough to reduce the effectiveness of the muffs, so just going to a better set of muffs didn't make much difference for me. You can test how well your muffs seal by putting them on in a noisy environment, then pressing the muffs against your head. If the noise level drops when you press, the muffs aren't sealing completely. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-31-2008, 06:23 AM
PackerSmacker's Avatar
PackerSmacker PackerSmacker is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas Cowboy Country, United States
Posts: 766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I use the orange foam plugs, both Silencio and Howard Leight brands. The Silencios are shaped like a bullet, the Leights have a flare at one end. Both are available through typical sporting goods outlets. I prefer the Leights. You might try some other styles of earplugs to see if some are more comfortable- there are some shaped like cylinders, others that have a hard plastic handle with a foam dome on the end that goes into your ear and so on.

I wear eyeglasses. I find the temples of the glasses break the seal between the earmuffs and my head just enough to reduce the effectiveness of the muffs, so just going to a better set of muffs didn't make much difference for me. You can test how well your muffs seal by putting them on in a noisy environment, then pressing the muffs against your head. If the noise level drops when you press, the muffs aren't sealing completely. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Perhaps my safety glasses are causing seal problems with the muffs. Any idea what brand works best with muffs?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2008, 03:48 PM
yarcraft91's Avatar
yarcraft91 yarcraft91 is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere in the middle of..., Michigan.
Posts: 6,910
Default

I wear prescription glasses, so can't help you much with the safety glasses question. I have some experience with full-face respirator fitting- people who need them for hazardous substance work don't typically wear standard-frame eyeglasses, rather prescription goggles with an elastic strap. The respirators seal against the elastic, where they often do not seal against an eyeglass temple. Can you find safety glasses that use an elastic strap? Might help the earmuff seal.

I have tried several kinds of earmuffs and have a similar problem with all of them. The wider the sealing surface the better they work for me. My best results so far are with Silencio Magnums.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 12-31-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-01-2009, 09:39 PM
tbomn's Avatar
tbomn tbomn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 4,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerSmacker View Post
I tried the foam ear plugs and they were not all that comfortable. Do you use the orange or the yellow foam? It seems like the yellow foam might be softer and more comfortable?

I have found some 34 db muffs. I think that I will try those out also.
I use the 34db muffs and they work really well. Yesterday I was a the range and was shooting next to a guy shooting the new Ruger Redhawk Alaskan using 454 Casull ammo.....wow!!! These weren't enough for that cannon, but they work well for everything I shoot....22lr, 9mm, and 45ACP.
__________________

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

Robert F. Kennedy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM
PackerSmacker's Avatar
PackerSmacker PackerSmacker is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas Cowboy Country, United States
Posts: 766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
I use the 34db muffs and they work really well. Yesterday I was a the range and was shooting next to a guy shooting the new Ruger Redhawk Alaskan using 454 Casull ammo.....wow!!! These weren't enough for that cannon, but they work well for everything I shoot....22lr, 9mm, and 45ACP.
I have a pair of the 34 db muffs on order. I will give those a shot. I was playing around with muffs and safety glasses and I noticed that certain muffs seal around the safety glasses better than others. Shooting indoors is louder than outdoors.

I tried a different brand of muffs today and they did a lot better.

Last edited by PackerSmacker; 01-02-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 PM
PackerSmacker's Avatar
PackerSmacker PackerSmacker is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas Cowboy Country, United States
Posts: 766
Default It is more about the safety glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerSmacker View Post
I have been using the ear muff type for hearing protection and that does not seem to be enough. That cuts down on the noise by about 24 db. What do you guys recommend?
I found out that the safety glasses make a big difference. Some have thick frames and others skinny frames. The skinny framed glasses give the muffs a better seal. For me the 34 db muffs don't do as well as some of the tighter fitting 25s.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 AM
KHedquist's Avatar
KHedquist KHedquist is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: MN
Posts: 4,082
Default

At work they recommend plugs and ear muffs, I work at a couple of places that are loud enough at the end of the day your body actually hurts, and that is what I wear on my melon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 PM.