Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Transducers: 83/200 kHz vs. 50/200 kHz ; Opinions Wanted - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Wallhanger

Question Transducers: 83/200 kHz vs. 50/200 kHz ; Opinions Wanted

Looking at upgrading to one of the new Lowrances. As many of you know, you now get a 'Ducer option for some of thses new HD units. So between the two options offered, what ater the advantages / disadvantages between the 50kHz vs the 83kHz side of thes ducers?

Thank you!! in advance to all who take the time to respond.

-Behr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Slot Fish

the 83 is susposed to be better in shallow water, the 50 better in deep water.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Wallhanger

Please define shallow and deeper water?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Keeper

Default 50 Khz / 83 Khz

When you see that 50Khz is better for deeper water I think this means that it gives a better echo return of the bottom. Most all the companies have consolidated on 200Khz as the best all around frequency for showing FISH. My experience is that 83Khz shows fish better than 50 Khz and that 200 shows fish better than 83 Khz. In shallow water 0-35 feet they will all show fish. The 83Khz that I've used (Humminbird & Lowrance) starts to loose it punch around 50-60 feet. 83 Khz is completely unreliable below 60 feet for showing fish. It does a good job of measuring the distance to the bottom and if you're on the ocean looking for 8 foot sharks I'm optimistic that it would show them quite deep. I would expect that 50 Khz would not be as useful as 83 Khz for bass and walleye at the depths you usually find them.

L.Winchester
Old 03-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Slot Fish

I can't find the text, but it was listed that the 50/200 would be the better option if searching in very deep water. I do not remember the exact depth but believe it was 1000 ft or more.

The lowrance web site also states that the 83/200 will allow 120 deg cone angle (copy and paste from web site below, )

Greater Shallow-Water Coverage
To cover even more water, Broadband automatically adds 83 kHz operation to a Lowrance 200 kHz single-frequency transducer. At 83 kHz, you get full 120-degrees of wide-angle coverage with greatly enhanced definition of fish arch targets.

Rich

Last edited by RAW; 03-08-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: statement by guest
Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM

You sound like an ad for Lowrance. You need to understand sonar fundamentals to realize that one of your statements contradicts itself. How can you have better definition with a 120 degree cone angle? Too many dead spots.....
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Keeper

Default No Lowrance fan but---

I'm not a Lowrance fan. Humminbirds are more my game plan. I have several. However, I did test out the HDS 5X that has the 83/200 transducer. Giving credit where credit is due, it really does give you wider coverage and better definition. The 83Khz gives the wide coverage, the widest coverage I've seen and in shallow water 35-40 or less I believe that it will be very beneficial and improve fishing success. If accurate measurements could be made I don't think it will pan out to 120 degrees, but its still an advantage over other units.

The 200Khz had a 20 degree cone. That's where the greater definition comes from. The HDS "cleans out" clutter and gunk giving the sonar echos better definition. Although I didn't try this out I'm confident that if you put a transducer switch and then a 10 degree transducer the bottom definition would be even better. Just my 2 cents worth.

L.Winchester