Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Best Walleye Water in Eastern Ontario? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Minnow

Location: I live in Kitchener and have property on Lake Manitouwabing. Moving to Ottawa /Arnprior soon
Question Best Walleye Water in Eastern Ontario?

What would you consider to be your top 3 lakes or rivers in Eastern Ontario, within say, 80 miles of Ottawa, that have the best Walleye potential?
I currently live in Kitchener, and will be moving to the Ottawa area.
We want to locate on a lake or river that has a decent potential for Walleye.
Up to 80 miles or 1.5 hours of driving to Ottawa would keep my wife happy as it's a lot closer than our current drive of 5.5 hours to see the Grandkids!
Any help would be appreciated. Just need to know the lakes or rivers. I don't expect to get your Honey-hole.

Thanks
and keep a tight line!

Taurcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Regardless where in the Ottawa area you choose to live, the best walleye fishery by far in Eastern Ontario is the Bay of Quinte. Indeed, its a trophy walleye fishery each year during the months of Oct, Nov and Dec when the big walleyes migrate from Lake Ontario into the Bay of Quinte in preparation for the spring spawn. However, its 160 miles from Ottawa. You might better consider walleye fishing in Quebec. Some possible locations are the Réserve Baskatong or La Vérendyre Park. Both locations are approximately 100 miles from Ottawa.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 AM
RSH8

Default Best Walleye Water in Eastern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurcan View Post
What would you consider to be your top 3 lakes or rivers in Eastern Ontario, within say, 80 miles of Ottawa, that have the best Walleye potential?
I currently live in Kitchener, and will be moving to the Ottawa area.
We want to locate on a lake or river that has a decent potential for Walleye.
Up to 80 miles or 1.5 hours of driving to Ottawa would keep my wife happy as it's a lot closer than our current drive of 5.5 hours to see the Grandkids!
Any help would be appreciated. Just need to know the lakes or rivers. I don't expect to get your Honey-hole.

Thanks
and keep a tight line!

Taurcan

You will be close to White Lake, which is excellent for panfish, fair to good for northerns and bass but mediocre at best for walleyes.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Minnow

Location: I live in Kitchener and have property on Lake Manitouwabing. Moving to Ottawa /Arnprior soon
Default Thanx Retire55

Thanx for the Reply.
Familiar with Quinte and it's reputation.
If I live in Ottawa or Kitchener, it's a 2.5 hr drive to Quinte.
As an Anglo, although I had relatives in Trois Rivieres in 1650, I don't think I would feel welcome living in, or around, the small towns and villages of rural Quebec.
Don't get me wrong. When I travel in Quebec, I stay in B&B's and still practice my high school French from 45 years ago. A spring chicken may hack it, but this old dog, just "ain't" about to start over.

I'm still trying to find the "best of the worst" around Arnprior, Renfrew, etc

Thanks again

Taurcan
Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH8 View Post
You will be close to White Lake, which is excellent for panfish, fair to good for northerns and bass but mediocre at best for walleyes.
Thanx RSH8
White Lake was indeed one of the possibilities we were considering. I appreciate you helping to cross it off my list. My wife immediately saw the "excellent panfish" remark
and thought it a great place. My answer was that "our grandchildren are not going to always want to catch panfish" Jeeesh! That was close!

Thanks again
Taurcan
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Walleyes - Ottawa Region

I would agree with the Bay of Quinte as the BEST in eastern Ontario. It's a 2.5 hr run down and many from the Ottawa region travel down, especially when the big Mamas are here in the fall.

You might want to have a look at www.fish-hawk.net as it's based iin Ottawa and you could get seom comments from there.

Cheers

David Delcloo aka Superdad
Retired - Kingston / Bay of Quinte Ontario
Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Interesting take on this area - being resident here for the better part of 40 years and all my life in eastern Ontario & western Quebec I've found the St. Lawrence, Ottawa & Rideau river systems will offer as good a multi specie opportunity as any other waters in the country. The potential for great walleye fishing is very high within a 40 mile radius of the city of Ottawa. I fish Quebec extensively, mostly for the remote access but have enjoyed many a day on the Ottawa & Rideau systems.

Within a 2 1/2 hour drive you can cover off the St. Lawrence from Montreal to eastern Lake Ontario, all of the Rideau from Ottawa to Kingston and the Ottawa from Montreal to Pembroke. Hundreds of miles of area with launching facilities in every village, town and city along their routes.

I'm biased of course but there is no finer place to be for the best, fishing has to offer.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Minnow

Default Thanks

Thanks to Superdad and McQ
Never fished Quinte but would love to. After the Easter weekend on the following Tuesday, and looking at 2 homes on the St Lawrence,we drove along HWY 2 and 33 into Picton. Then up to Belleville.

Knowing the reputation of Quinte, I had a perpetual fisherman's drool, ,as I drove past many of those waters. I'd never get my wife to settle down 2.5 hours from Ottawa. I might get her 1.5 hrs tops, away from our grandkids in Ottawa.

Therefor McQ, what say you? Ottawa R, Madawaska R or a better lake? Looked at the Rideau lakes. Of the 3 areas which is the best, or is there a better choice within those areas?

I really appreciate your knowledge, and expertise guys. Love to fish with you someday!

Thanks

Taurcan
Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Keeper

Mississippi Lake is near Ottawa and from what I hear has a decent walleye population.

FISH HUNTER
Old 04-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

So many variables to consider!

If you're trailering a boat it really doesn't matter where you hang your hat at night. I'm not a big fan of any of the lakes in the region, too much development and limited walleye fishing. Now, the river systems are very productive so any area around Ottawa is a good choice. Arnprior, with access to the Ottawa & Madawaska would be top of the list for me, a very close second would be locating on the Rideau system somewhere around Kemptville. It is my experience that the Ottawa river east of the Chaudiere Falls right down to Hawksbury is prime for walleye, much more so than the upper reaches so you may consider the Rockland area too.

My thoughts are do what is best for your particular basic needs, family etc. because regardless the choice you will find yourself having access to everything within a reasonable and short drive.

As an aside I live directly across the river from Ottawa east in Gatineau and have enjoyed the company of my francaphone neighbours for 25+ years with narry an issue or problem and yes I'm still unilingual English with a smattering of franglais to get myself in trouble.

Tags
arnprior , kiwartha , perth , renfrew , rideau