Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Crankbait/spoon 3-way rig ??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2002, 10:20 AM
curious

Default Crankbait/spoon 3-way rig ???

I troll a few different cranks on 3-ways with stinger scorpion spoons, I am wondering how these rigs follow the depth curves from precision trolling guide? I have always assumed they must run a bit shallower? Does anyone have any thoughts on this question? Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2002, 12:47 PM
still curious

Default RE: Crankbait/spoon 3-way rig ???

Anyone? I'm sure I'm not the only person who does this.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:59 PM
Wallhanger

I was hoping to see an answer from someone with more experience than myself. I have done it with Hot-N-Tots a couple times. I had questionable success. It was my feeling that the crank was running "substantially" shallower with the spoon attached. My thought was that the additional weight changed the angle the bait traveled, similar to using thicker line with more resistance. Just my thoughts, would welcome any other opinions.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:41 PM
curious

Thanks for response lund-dude. Anyone else???
Old 03-19-2002, 07:58 PM
Minnow

Curious, I do not know the actual numbers but the crankbait will not dive as deep (at least not as deep as the crank would dive by itself). The most important thing is to make sure you have a crankbaits that really digs for the bottom. I also troll the small stinger spoons. I usually troll them with deep diving reef runners, on a three way, the reef runner seems to get them deep enough for me. I guess it also would deepend on the weight and drag of the spoon. Stingers are perfect since they weigh next to nothing, and they do not drag too much on the crankbait.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:59 AM
curious

Thanks Soggy....with all the Erie and Saginaw trollers posting on this site I thought this ? would get a few more responses. Oh well, maybe later in the spring I'll try again. Would I get more responses if I was'nt just a lowly guest user? Perhaps time to register.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:16 PM
Mifish

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH cool it it DUDE ....this is top secret stuff you are talking about. Your're most observant and on the right track....hint....use a 3/8 rattle tot (fire tiger or purple ) on the bottom. 4 foot leader for spoon ...2 foot for rattle tot.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:29 PM
d-rigger

Experiment- good memory or write it down. Many factors, bait/spoon size,# line how far back etc. When you are running your set up in ?
troll into shallow water,when starts ticking bottom check graph for depth and now you know how deep it is running, same for dipseys.
Hope this helps.Forgot- SPEED!
Old 03-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Minnow

I run a three-way on Erie quite often. I use a Wiggle Wart on a 1 to 2 foot drop with small no name spoons (1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inchs)with single hook on a 2 to 4 foot drop. I've not noticed any appreciable difference in depth from the normal Wiggle Wart's performance. These cheapie spoons are lighter than the small Stingers or mini Streaks. Hook-ups come both on the lure and the spoon at a 1/3 lure to 2/3 spoon relationship. I've never doubled on Walleye but have many times on white bass. I've experimented with other cranks, dropper lengths and different size spoons and find this set up best for where I fish in the West Basin out of Luna Pier, MI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.