Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
craigslist used car scam - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Default craigslist used car scam

Was looking for a car for my daughter on craigslist and came across a REALLY great deal on a honda! too good to be true though. check out this dude's response to my inquiry! wonder how many will fall for it?

Hello and sorry for my delay,
The 2003 Honda Accord is in perfect working condition.This detailed vehicle makes the exterior look like it just came off the assembly line.The car has only 46749 original miles.VIN Number: 1hgcm66803a050494
It was never involved in any accident, not even minor ones. The body and paint are great. The interior is super clean, mechanically, it runs like a cat on carpet.
Transmission: Automatic
Year: 2003 Fuel Type: Gasoline
Standard Equipment:
CD Player Driver Airbag Passenger Airbag Air Conditioning
Cruise Control Power Locks Power Windows
PICS: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...daAccordSedan/
So if you decide on buying the car, I want the deal closed only through eBay. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it, eBay will release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected. I signed up for US military forces and I was sent here with my department to improve the military relations between our country and Spain . I am located in Madrid, Spain.1 months ago, my wife moved here, with me and brought the car with her, but now we have to sell it back in the United States, because we can't drive it here because we can't register it here; it has US specs and everything, and registering it here in Europe will take for ever. My final price on it is US 2,900 $. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping .It will be shipped from here by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place.From the moment the payment is secured by eBay the shipping process will begin and it will arrive at your address in about 3 max. 4 working days. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.

Thank you and have a great day,
Troy Bradley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Vtec1

Default Vin is good?

Looked up vin# on carfax and it's good. 52597miles and registered in Largo, FL, one owner!. They must of just grabbed somebody's vin# off the street. Very good deal, go for it........Scams every second lately!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

"include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them."

In response to his wanting a full name and address where you want it shipped, I would send him the following information from a dummy mailbox:

J.E. Hoover
2801 Network Boulevard
Suite 710
Frisco, TX 75034
Phone: (214) 705-7000

It's a local FBI field office and I'm sure J.E.Hoover won't register with the moron!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Talking

LOL!

I love it... Good call ...do it!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

I hope you let Craigslist people know about the scam so they can remove the item?

I wonder if it is possible to keep the guy from posting on Craigslist again. Probably not. He would just change his fictitious name and location and post again.

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Wallhanger

I'll give the guy credit. His use of the English language is better than the people who write the usual scam e-mails, although still not all that great.

I wonder how one signs up for the "US military forces"?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Wallhanger

I don't get how people can even respond to these ads, so easy to spot. A 03 Honda Accord with low miles for 2900, a deal on that car would be 8K, that would be a steal of a deal?? A guess says that car sells for around 10K. It's internet, it's craigslist, it's internet used sales...if you see a 03 perfect honda accord with 50K miles for 2,900...It's a SCAM! Don't respond, they aren't hard to spot. We see these type threads dang near weekly on WC, is the word not out yet, don't respond to these ads?

BIRDDOG
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Talking

The scammers are getting bolder. Last Friday , just before closing we had a client come in to pick up his new car. He presented his cashier check to pay for the car. It was for about $10,000 more than the price of the car. He said he got his loan for more and we could just cut him a check back to refund the difference. He left without his new car or his overpayment refund. He has not been back to get his "deposit" back yet.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM
missjade7

Default car scaaaaam

my roommate and i went to craigslist and saw 11 of the SURPRISINGLY similar emails from ALLLLLL militar people. It was so funny. I called up ebay and they told us that it was a scam forsure. I sent all of the 11 scams to ebay and they were investigating it. I dont know if how many people really fell for it but if they ask you to pay with western union or money gram its a fake.Only go for paypal.

people are so evil nowadays.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjade7 View Post
my roommate and i went to craigslist and saw 11 of the SURPRISINGLY similar emails from ALLLLLL militar people. It was so funny. I called up ebay and they told us that it was a scam forsure. I sent all of the 11 scams to ebay and they were investigating it. I dont know if how many people really fell for it but if they ask you to pay with western union or money gram its a fake.Only go for paypal.

people are so evil nowadays.
what does craigslist have to do with ebay?
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.