Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
pork butt bone-can I give it to the dog? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Default pork butt bone-can I give it to the dog?

I normally dont give my dogs any bones from our food.

I just smoked a pork butt. The dogs are looking at the bone like its the best thing on earth LOL

can I give it to them?

thanks
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Wallhanger

Small risk they could break a tooth. I used to give my dogs beef knuckles all the time until one of them broke a tooth and it had to get pulled.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

what kind of bones can you give a dog safely ?

Rebs
Old 08-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Wallhanger

I think the broken tooth thing is just coincidence. Definite no-no's would include chicken bones and rib bones - the issue being splintering resulting in choking. Steak bones might be a toss-up, although I always gave them to my dogs in the past. I think any sort of large, rounded bone, regardless of source, would be fine.

Last edited by @Lunker; 08-23-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Add'l comments
Old 08-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
what kind of bones can you give a dog safely ?
Any bone that is UNCOOKED is ok to give a dog. Cooked bones splinter and can cause all sorts of damage to your pooch.

Wild dogs eat bones all the time. It's a natural desire.

Juls
NPAA#89

Find me in Walleye Central's Business Directory HERE

http://www.walleyecentral.com/pros/?proID=8

2014 Ranger 620
250 ETEC
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Terrova w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird 1199 SI, 1159c DI on Dash & 1159 Bow
Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Wallhanger

Be aware, if it's a type of meat your dogs aren't used to getting, it can really give them the runs. Ours get beef bones, but never pork. We learned that the hard way.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Wallhanger

My last Golden loved bones. Good for teeth they say. She broke both rear grinders and had to have a ever expensive operation to remove both of them. She was about 5 or 6 when she did it. New dog gets NO BONES.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Default walleye dog

My border collie loved walleye rib cages. When I cleaned fish she would sit and eat the rib cages I cut out of the fillets. I had to put her to sleep this year after 15 good years. I guess they learn to eat some things when they are young and never seem to have a problem. Go figure.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

boy, what a potpourri of replies....no bone is safe for your dog to eat..period...statistically, more dogs die from steak and pork bones than chicken bones....and yes, many people feed all these bones to their dogs frequently w//o problems...but if they worked at an animal hospital for any period of time, they would very quickly find out how dangerous this can be...they are not good for teeth, they injure teeth, any bone that splinters can do all sorts of problems...often life-threatening....let that bone get stuck in the esophagus and you have a major problem that most vets are not equipped to handle...they can perforate any section of bowel and that can be major .....they can pile up in the colon/rectum and boy, those are really fun enemas!....almost lost many dogs because of the large number of bones stuck back there...and i can only get so many out each session(dog under anesthesia)....you should see em bleed when i have session #2 and occassionally session #3...steve
Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetspet.ind View Post
boy, what a potpourri of replies....no bone is safe for your dog to eat..period...statistically, more dogs die from steak and pork bones than chicken bones....and yes, many people feed all these bones to their dogs frequently w//o problems...but if they worked at an animal hospital for any period of time, they would very quickly find out how dangerous this can be...they are not good for teeth, they injure teeth, any bone that splinters can do all sorts of problems...often life-threatening....let that bone get stuck in the esophagus and you have a major problem that most vets are not equipped to handle...they can perforate any section of bowel and that can be major .....they can pile up in the colon/rectum and boy, those are really fun enemas!....almost lost many dogs because of the large number of bones stuck back there...and i can only get so many out each session(dog under anesthesia)....you should see em bleed when i have session #2 and occassionally session #3...steve
thats good enough for me, no bones for my dogs

Rebs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.