Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Best Spinning Reel for the Money - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Default Best Spinning Reel for the Money

So, what do the experts say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

What class of reel are you talking about? $30, $70, $300+? Pretty huge variance out there in cost/quality.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Wallhanger

Well, I guess it depends. Is a $300 reel three times better than a $100 reel? At what dollar value to you begin seeing deminishing returns for your money?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaR View Post
Well, I guess it depends. Is a $300 reel three times better than a $100 reel? At what dollar value to you begin seeing deminishing returns for your money?
I believe that there is less of a gap in quality in reels that are over, say $150 through $300 than there is for reels from $30 through $150.

There are many reels that fall in the $30 to $80 range that will "do the job", for a while. From $80 to $150 there are quite a few that should cost less because of quality.

Choosing a reel is like choosing any other item, first, what are you going to use it for. Second, how much do you want to spend. Third, how long do you want to last.

I think most anglers choose reels in the $30 to $150 range. The less expensive end of that range will provide reels that are general use, less expensive, and will last several years with limited use. On the other end of that range there are reels that are more specific in their use, are somewhat more expensive, and will last several years with excessive use.

Personally, I have never paid more than $140 for a reel. I have many that fall in the $70 to $120 range, and they work well for everything I bought them for.

I have paid a high price for a few that were not worth the money, and I have a few that were less expensive that seem to last for ever.

If you are looking for brands, I own Abu Garcia, Penn, Daiwa, and a couple Cabelas LW linecounters that work very well for leadcore.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

Robert F. Kennedy
Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Wallhanger

For my money the best spinning reel for the buck is a Daiwa Tierra.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Keeper

I'm a total shimano guy & mostly use stradics, but I believe the pflueger president is a very good value reel. I have 3 larger reels and 9 micros for ice fishing, also two supremes I got for dirt. The only thing I don't like about the presidents is the small wood handle.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Wallhanger

Pflueger President's are the best value for the money in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ellis View Post
Pflueger President's are the best value for the money in my opinion.
For being such a broad question, I'd say they are a great choice. I don't own any but have used them and read great reviews here. Hard to discount all the good "press" they get!

I have a hard time spending over $80ish for a spinning reel, one can get a great reel for their money. I'm partial to shimano spinning reels, they've served me well. I have several Saharas that have served me well and are still as smooth as the day they were purchased. My wife has a few sedonas, same story.

BIRDDOG
Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Wallhanger

i too have a few saharas and they are a good reel for the $. my favorite is the pflueger supreme's. I paired the 8030 up with 2 croix avids mlf this year and what a sweet combo. the 8030 only weighs 7.4oz and is smooth as silk and solidly built. they can be found on ebay for around 80 bucks and free shipping. i know when i add cpl more st croixs to my arsenal this spring they will have pfluegers on em. i might have to try the one of the lesser models on a croix triumph. i also use a pflueger trion and micro for ice fishing and they are awesome as well. i feel pflueger produces same quality reel as shimano but for much less money. oyeah..the supreme is a beautiful reel with the gold accents that looks great on any rod.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoxchaser View Post
For my money the best spinning reel for the buck is a Daiwa Tierra.
I have one and feel it's a great reel and a very good price. (although they did go up on MSRP 10%).

I do have a couple Penn's that rank up there as well and always have been a fan but it does stink the moved operations out of the US. I have reels from before this happened and they are rock solid bulletproof. Not the smoothest but probably one of the toughest out there, I swear you cannot break one. Drag's are simply awesome and they cast for miles, at leas the new ones my old 4300 SS isn't the best caster.